Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Removing Embroidery Threads >

Removing Embroidery Threads

Removing Embroidery Threads

Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 AM

Default Removing Embroidery Threads

I have some embroidered logos that I'd like to remove and wondered if anyone has found a way to remove the threads easily?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Well. I know a lot of embroiderers will use an electric-razor type of tool, looks kind of like a mustache trimmer.

I have a laptop bag with a corporate logo embroidered on it, and I wanted to remove the logo. I tried E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. I used a razor, a seam ripper, a box knife blade, you name it, I tried it. That sucker is impossible to get off.

However, my experience may differ from yours. The bag material, the commercial-quality embroidery, the thread and stabilizer used may all hinder removal of the stitches on my bag. If you're trying to remove home machine embroidery stitches from cotton, you're probably going to be more successful than me.

Last edited by Peckish; 06-15-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 AM

Usually I cut the threads from the back, making several cuts to loosen things up. Then I flip it over to the front and use tweezers to pull whatever threads have loosened. Then repeat as many times as needed to completely remove. Its a long, tedious process so you can't be in a hurry! (I'm working on machine embroidery where a mistake was made - if this was commercially done not sure if this would apply.)
Old 06-15-2016, 06:06 PM

If this is commercially done, I hope you have very good eyesight. Sometimes there are very very tiny straight stitches between transitioning between on spot to another. I've tried a few times and always end up making a hole before I'm finished.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:11 AM

Everyone is correct with their experience. Sometimes a commercially embroidered item is so tightly stitched, there will be very little of the initial fabric left by the time you are done (i.e., hole). But you can still salvage it. Place a piece of iron-on stabilizer or fusible interfacing and cover it with something else.

Hope your project ends up being a success!
Old 06-17-2016, 05:38 AM

All I can add is "good luck with that". It can be done (on most items, but not all) but it is a LONG, TEDIOUS task.
I have done it but it takes lots of time & patience & you have to be extremely careful to make sure you don't go right through the material itself & thus ruin the garment. Good luck !!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 AM

An alternative suggestion is topple an appliqué over the logo. Might be easier than picking out a design.