Singer 401g - Help please!

Old 06-18-2016, 10:32 AM

Default Singer 401g - Help please!

Hello

I very recently bought one of these and I'm in love. Its in perfect condition. I didn't get the accessories case or the cams with it, but saw they're easily available on eBay.

However, I cannot figure out how to get the multi or standard zig zag going right for me. I have the correct letters on the stitch selector but feel I'm missing something as the stitches are coming out very elongated.

Do I need to change the red lever and the stitch length? They are currently at 3 and 7 respectively.

Any help much appreciated I'd love to be able to use this as my main machine
Old 06-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Zz will be set by the two dials at the top. Each one is 1 slot in from SS. I am at the hospital right now so I don't know what the letter combo is but I think it is BL and AK is SS. The 401a manual is the same for 401g. The width lever determines how wide so 1 is narrow 5 is wide. Your stitch length lever will determine how many stitches per inch. If the stitches are not right you may have it off the proper letters. It could be slightly out of zz time and may need to be serviced. Also if the stitch selector knobs aren't moving freely it would need to be serviced. You may need to check the tensions settings.

The 401g is not very common here but 401a machines are everywhere.
Did you know you could put that machine on a treadle? There are channels in the back for the treadle belt. Somewhere on QB there is a thread about it. You may want to search Singer 401g in the search above right.

Last edited by miriam; 06-18-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:15 PM

Thanks Miriam for your reply.

I completely forgot about how the lever would adjust the stitch width for the zz stitches! So thank you for this. I have tested the zz now and it sews the way I want.

The machine is in perfect condition, well oiled, all the knobs working and the tension is perfect. I think it was well loved by its previous owner.

Yes I saw before I purchased that the g model can be put on a treadle. If I come across a table or cabinet I might give it a go. It's pretty hard to come across tables in good condition over here that don't cost a small fortune. The threads in here are a great resource.

I picked up a Singer 28k today, need to have a look at the threads in here as I've never seen a vibrating shuttle in person before!
Old 06-19-2016, 01:20 PM

Hi I have several vibrating shuttle machines - a Frister Rossman and another old one (not a Singer) a German make I think - I remember my Mother sewing with on a Singer28 hand crank - have fun