Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any recommendations for an electric (coil burner) range with convection cooking?? >

Any recommendations for an electric (coil burner) range with convection cooking??

Any recommendations for an electric (coil burner) range with convection cooking??

Old 06-21-2016, 12:05 PM

Default Any recommendations for an electric (coil burner) range with convection cooking??

Need to replace our range (slide-in) and want (1) controls on the front as opposed to the back, (2) coil burners so I don't have to worry about DH dropping pots on the surface and breaking a smooth-top, and (3) would like convection cooking availability (but would do without it to get (1) and (2). Anybody have one or know of one like that?

I have searched Google, and the problem seems to be having coil burners.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 PM

I personally would get the one with coils and the convection oven. Which by the way is my choice for my next range.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

When I Google I can find quite a few options for electric coils with convection oven, but they do not have controls in the front. I can find quite a few options also for electric coils and controls in the front, but none of them seem to have the convection oven.

Edit: When I go to Sears outlet and put in electric coils and convection oven it comes up with 8 options, only 2 of which have front controls. Those two are drop-in rather than slide-in. (I had to look up the difference. It appears that drop-in requires a custom installation.) Anyway, here is the link:
http://www.sears.com/frigidaire-30in...7&blockType=G7

Last edited by Prism99; 06-21-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:22 PM

I cant use a glass top because I can garden food in a canner and they break glass tops. I went from coils to a gas (propane) stove, and I wont go back. Bought a GE -profile. It has a convection option
Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 AM

My SIL solved the problem -she hates the coil burners for ever day cooking and she can's most of her garden. So she now has an out door kitchen. The old coil stove is on the Gazebo. Solved 2 problems--saved her glass top and the house does not get hot.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:38 AM

I like things that are tried and true: like agitator versus impeller washing machines, like coil top versus glass top ranges, like hard drive versus the cloud computer storage, etc.

My last stove was a dual oven (one was convection) 5 gas burner Jennaire (maytag bought them) range. It cost a small fortune. I was so excited to get it. My enthusiasm was short lived unfortunately as everything I tried to cook on it or in the oven turned out horribly. I have been cooking for many years and it is one of the things I do best, so I know that it wasn't operator error. I got rid of it and bought a basic electric GE coil burner stove. Everything turns out great when I cook now. I might have tried a glass top, but you can't use a pressure canner on glasstop. I prefer an electric stove.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Most electric ranges have the knobs at the back. Jenn Aire is one that had front knobs in the past and an convection oven.

Having lived with a Jenn Aire and very young children, I would rather not have front knobs if there will be children in the home or visiting, for safety reasons. If you can consider a wall oven and drop in range, most those ranges have the knobs near the front or to one side.

Gar ranges have front knobs and dual fuel ones give the best of both worlds, Gas burners on top and electric oven.

Do you have a dedicated appliance store near you? If yes, take your wish list in to them and ask them to find you what you want. I have found that my local appliance shop (independent not a chain), has great service, prices and do repairs in a timely manner, plus free delivery.

Good Luck finding a range that works for you.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the responses. No children here, just my DH, my 97 year old mother and me. Had a bad experience when young when reaching over burner to turn off stove (pj's caught fire) so I definitely want front knobs so I don't have to worry about mom or me having an issue. Will check into some of things mentioned. Again, thank you.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:30 AM

We have a samsung slide-in that has the controls on the front (that was one of my requirements too), smooth top and true convection oven. I bought it at home depot (special order). I specifically wanted a smooth top so I don't know if there are any traditional coil burner types with the front controls.

eta: link http://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung-5...00SS/204394677

Last edited by gale; 06-30-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:43 AM

When I was shopping for a coil burner stove, I found that there were only a few on the market. I was so happy to find that I could still purchase one. Mine has burners on the back. My 3 year old grandson lives with me, so that feature was very important. Although, if I didn't have a young child around, I would prefer controls in the front of the stove for safety reasons. My Jenaire range had side controls and locking knobs which I thought was a great design.