Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Go dies-how long do they last? >

Go dies-how long do they last?

Go dies-how long do they last?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:46 AM

Default Go dies-how long do they last?

Last summer I bought the GO die that cuts 2.5" squares, There are 9 cuts on this die. I used it for two days last summer cutting many 2 1/2 inch squares. I didn't use it again until fall when I needed to cut some more 2.5" squares and it was not working right. I cleaned it over and over again, had a new mat over it, but no luck. This past week I tried again and it is kaput, it will cut one piece of fabric mostly, but not all the way through. I have used my strip cutters over and over again and they are holding up great. Just wondering if any of you have had any problems with this die. I think I bought this die from a guy on ebay, not from the company. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Did you store it flat?? Sometimes these dies can bend by heat.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:30 AM

All my dies are stored flat, and haven't been in heat at all. I take really good care of them as they are so expensive. I cleaned them out with the little pick that came with the machine. They are spotless.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 AM

are you using it with one of the accuquilt cutters or are you using it with something else like a Sizzix?

I have a Sizzix Big Shot Pro that I use Go dies with, and I find that I need to add some shims in addition to the ones that Sizzix provides to get them to cut properly. I use Card Stock for the additional shims and had to experiment some to get consistent cuts.

rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 06-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I had a couple of dies that are about a year old that seem to not cut all the way in some spots. DH honed the blades for me and they cut fine again. Clamp the foam away from the blades to reach them. I can replace the dies so having DH try to fix them wasn't a problem if he messed them up. I have had some old dies come out of the frame. I reglued them. I would contact Accuquilt and ask if those dies were considered defective. Some are known to be even when new.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:25 AM

Thanks Onebyone for your suggestions. I also will contact Accuquilt for some information. I really haven't used this particular die all that much for the blades to not even cut one piece of fabric clear through. I like your suggestion about DH fixing the blades. Yesterday I cut yards of fabric into the 2 1/2' strips and it works wonderfully and it was the first one I bought and have used constantly. I think I got a defective die in the 2 1/2" square cutters. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I read on the Accuquilt Group Facebook page that the dies that have a lot of corners, the blades may be off just a smidge causing the skips. It's the nature of the beast. The consensus is the 2 1/2 square die will be discontinued for that reason. I found if I roll the die back before it goes all the way through and back again it will usually cut all the way. THis is the only die I have had a lot of trouble with but I like using it to make mini charm packs.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:18 PM

was it used off of eBay? Maybe it had been used a lot??

I do my 2.5" blocks with my 2.5" strips--2 cuts, but with 6 layers and about 8 laid sideways, you get a ton!