Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about fold'n stitch wreath >

Question about fold'n stitch wreath

Question about fold'n stitch wreath

Old 07-11-2016, 09:50 AM

Default Question about fold'n stitch wreath

I am slowly working my way thru the pattern and have come to the point where you fuse the 5 inch square over the X opening and zig zag around. I have never done a satin type stitch and am afraid it will be uneven and obvious.
Those of you who have made the wreaths-did you use the setting suggested in the pattern and did you have any trouble going thru the thickness of the material? In all of your pictures, I never saw Zig-zag showing so did you use thread to match the 5 inch square or the fabric with the X cut. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Try making up a sample and see how your machine handles the thickness. If you have the original pattern, the video that is slightly different might not help you.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Try making up a sample and see how your machine handles the thickness. If you have the original pattern, the video that is slightly different might not help you.
I didn't want to use up my Bosal to try a sample piece as I wouldn't have enough for a second wreath but I think that's what I may have to do. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 AM
Power Poster

For your practice piece just use some scrap batting or a layer of scrap fabric, no reason to use up whatever that Bosal is.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:38 AM

/ have an older Kenmore and it went through all thicknesses just fine. Use a larger needle(I used a jean needle 90/14), not satin stitching. One I used the recommended stitches and one I used a decorative stitch.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by LilaKay View Post
/ have an older Kenmore and it went through all thicknesses just fine. Use a larger needle(I used a jean needle 90/14), not satin stitching. One I used the recommended stitches and one I used a decorative stitch.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about using a decorative stitch...I'm more comfortable with that idea!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
For your practice piece just use some scrap batting or a layer of scrap fabric, no reason to use up whatever that Bosal is.
That's the product recommended in the pattern...makes the pieces pretty stiff. Not the same as the quilt sandwich so
was concerned about the machine settings to get the right "look".
Old 07-12-2016, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Bosal is the suggested stabilizer. I've seen it online for 18"x58" piece at $9.99. One of the things I'm going to do is call my local quilt shop and see if they have it and for how much.
Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Old 07-12-2016, 05:23 AM

I did not use a decorative or zig zag. I simply used a straight stitch. It worked fine. Just go slow with a fresh needle. It's amazing how easily it will stitch thru it.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I did not use a decorative or zig zag. I simply used a straight stitch. It worked fine. Just go slow with a fresh needle. It's amazing how easily it will stitch thru it.
Thanks Toverly, that approach is definitely in my comfort zone. I'm one of those people who follow directions to the letter and then get stuck when it isn't something I am comfortable with. Have to learn to think outside the box!