Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size block is most commonly used for Accuquilt Go!? >

What size block is most commonly used for Accuquilt Go!?

What size block is most commonly used for Accuquilt Go!?

Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 AM

Default What size block is most commonly used for Accuquilt Go!?

I have a new Accuquilt Go! cutter and am thinking of buying the boxed set of die cutters.

They come in sets for 6", 8", 9", and 12" blocks.

Which block size do you typically use the most often?
Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 AM

12", but I also love doing tons of hand applique so I need space in the middle for that.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

What size car is most used? It's really personal preference. The larger blocks will give you a quicker result, larger pieces & fewer blocks. I like to work with small pieces, so I would go for a smaller qube. I LOVE my accuquilt, but dies are expensive and if you haven't quilted enough to develop a block size preference, you might want to make a few more quilts to see which size you prefer, or at least have a specific project in mind where you can use your dies.
it's tempting to jump in with dies for your new cutter, but start off with those you need for your next project.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:39 AM

....gives PaperPrincess a strange look.....because I think she's conspiring with my husband! LOL.

True advice, though....true advice!

Most of my quilts have been scrappies, and done by rows, so I haven't done a whole lot with specific squares. Just was wondering what others thought
Old 07-29-2016, 09:26 AM
RST

Honestly, if I got a cube, I would go for a 6 or 8, as for me, cutting accuracy is harder with smaller pieces while at the same time, spot on cutting is all the more important with smaller pieces, so the die cutter would be helping me work with stash fabrics and make patterns that I would otherwise tend to avoid.

I have a good collection of rulers and I am competent at cutting large shapes with reasonable accuracy, so while I might like and use bigger die shapes, not having them is not keeping me from making anything.

Everyone's preferences and gaps in what they have will vary.

Another criteria would be to think about what you envision yourself making. Quick baby quilts, graduation gifts, and donation items? Then quick and big blocks are the way to go for sure. IF you think you might like to make an heirloom piece, are drawn to pillows, table runners, bags, and the like, then maybe the smaller blocks will be more useful
Old 07-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

It really depends on what you like. If you haven't been quilting for very long, I would advise thinking about only the *next* quilt you want to make. And honestly, I don't think the Qube is the best way for a beginner to start. It is ***very*** expensive, especially if you don't know yet which size block is most attractive to you, and there are a ***lot*** of quilts you can't make with the pieces. I recommend starting out with a specific quilt in mind, using either a one-piece die or a BOB (block-on-board, meaning all the pieces for a specific block) die.

Here are links relevant to making the Fun Patch quilt:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...k-t280816.html
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-hal...rectangle.html

A tumbler die is another fun die to start out with. The small tumblers are great for baby quilts; the large ones for fast quilts. This and other shapes that are difficult to cut with a rotary cutter and ruler are a good way to start out with a die cutter.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/27021666485178978/
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/ssearch?q=tumbler

Or, choose a block you want to make and buy the BOB die for it:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/ssearc...%20Dies&page=1

I have accumulated about 35 Go! dies over time, most of which I haven't used yet. Many of the shapes in a Qube I have already, as they are part of the other dies. What I find the Go! most useful for is cutting odd shapes (tumblers, circles, hexagons), cutting triangles (but triangles are included in all the block dies I have so I don't need separates), and applique patterns for freezer paper applique (I cut the freezer paper using the Go! -- great time saver!). Other people really like it for cutting strips, but I find that I generally prefer to cut strips with my June Tailor mat so my strip dies don't get used (even though they were expensive).

My 22 cents worth of advice.......
Old 07-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Whatever pattern I'm making it the basic shape I need. LOL I have about 65 dies, maybe more. I keep a supply of mats, about six of each size on hand. So far I haven't found a pattern I can't use a die for. I may have to make the block a little smaller or bigger but that's fine. I bought most of my dies at bargain prices when Accuquilt changed their pricing policy. Many shops stopped selling them and could clearance them out. I kept a search going during that time and found bargains. I bought all the big expensive dies then, most for 65% off. I can buy the smaller speciality dies now from the $ I saved on the big dies.

All of my sewing group has the Go or Go Big. Between the six of us we have all the dies and all the Qube sizes. Maybe you can find a group or guild that uses the dies and join in.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-29-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
....gives PaperPrincess a strange look.....because I think she's conspiring with my husband! LOL.

True advice, though....true advice!

Most of my quilts have been scrappies, and done by rows, so I haven't done a whole lot with specific squares. Just was wondering what others thought
Honest, Red, we haven't been conspiring!
I really should not be one to talk. I had a paper business before starting to quilt and have had my studio cutter for about 20 years. I have 500+ dies (I'm really afraid to count)
When I started quilting I knew from experience about want vs. need. This has not stopped me from buying one or two quilting dies on ebay that were such good bargains that I would be loosing money if I didn't get them, even though I had no quilts planned for them. One is still shrink wrapped after a year...
Old 07-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I have 500+ dies (I'm really afraid to count)
That would be a major storage problem I'd love to have. LOL
Old 07-29-2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
That would be a major storage problem I'd love to have. LOL
if memory serves, Princess has an amazing studio that has seperate die cutter areas, one paper and one fabric???