Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need info on Superior monopoly thread >

I need info on Superior monopoly thread

I need info on Superior monopoly thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Default I need info on Superior monopoly thread

I'm about to being the quilting on my MSQ "Stacks" quilt. I thought I'd try the mono thread but I'm not sure if I need a special needle or bobbin to use it. I've had trouble in the past with invisible thread shredding all the time and I want this one to look nice since it's a gift.

I sent my machine out to be serviced so it would work perfectly, it's a Janome Horizon. The stitch look good after service but I don't want to get into the middle of a project and find it's not working for me.

Any suggestions on how I should FMQ this would be helpful. I have to do it on my Horizon and the colors are tan and the "books" are jewel tones so I'm not sure how to do it. I don't want a dark color on the tan sections, help anyone?

This is a link to the MSQ tute. Just picture tan instead of the white strips and jewel tones as the darker color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxDCzCKd_3I
Old 08-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Everything you need to know about Superior mono, needle size, tension, and what bobbin thread to use is on the Superior website.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...oly-questions/

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-16-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

You don't normally put monopoly thread in the bobbin, although Superior says that you can try it and see if it works for you. I would try Bottomline in the bobbin instead.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

In addition to the link OBO posted you can also reference this guide by superior which tells you which needle size to use, recommended bobbin thread and how you should adjust your tension for all Superior thread products.

https://vw-superiorthreads.storage.g...guide-home.pdf
Old 08-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I just seem to always be able to find a color of thread that would work better than the mono-filament. JMO.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 AM

I'm with the "check Superior's website" crowd. It is a vast source of useful information, and not just about invisible thread.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:19 PM

You need to loosen the top tension with the mono poly. Adjust using small adjustments until you get a good tension. I don't use it much but when I do I prefer the 'matte' finish as I don't like too much shine from my thread.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I'm about to being the quilting on my MSQ "Stacks" quilt. I thought I'd try the mono thread but I'm not sure if I need a special needle or bobbin to use it. I've had trouble in the past with invisible thread shredding all the time and I want this one to look nice since it's a gift.

I sent my machine out to be serviced so it would work perfectly, it's a Janome Horizon. The stitch look good after service but I don't want to get into the middle of a project and find it's not working for me.

Any suggestions on how I should FMQ this would be helpful. I have to do it on my Horizon and the colors are tan and the "books" are jewel tones so I'm not sure how to do it. I don't want a dark color on the tan sections, help anyone?

This is a link to the MSQ tute. Just picture tan instead of the white strips and jewel tones as the darker color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxDCzCKd_3I
I use monopoly all the time. I do use with a thread stand and only on top, not the bobbin. It works very well for my purposes. I usually use white polyester or cotton in the bobbin.
No shredding at all.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:40 PM

My Janome 6600 loves monopoly and I've used both Mettler and Superior. I only use it on top and only for ditching my quilt, so just put the thread/colour I plan to use for FMQ in the bobbin, so it matches when I switch over to FMQ. I've also used monopoly on my Sweet 16 in the same way without an issue. Back the tension off a little bit up top and you should be good to go. If I use a spool of monopoly, I just put it in a jar, instead of on the spool holder, then thread into the machine as you noramally would, and it bounces around however it needs to, otherwise I end up with it all wound up tight. Use a thread net on a cone to keep it under control off of the thread stand.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:51 AM

I'm using the monopoly in the bobbin right now on my Janome 7700 with no issues. I buy the prewound monopoly bobbins from Superior and love them. I will say, however, that my Bernina doesn't play as well with the poly in the bobbin. Just need to try it and see how your machine behaves.