Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
3 Quilt tops:  comfort, Christmas gift and a new bed >

3 Quilt tops: comfort, Christmas gift and a new bed

3 Quilt tops: comfort, Christmas gift and a new bed

Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM

Default 3 Quilt tops: comfort, Christmas gift and a new bed

The first quilt shown is a comfort quilt for the adult daughter of a friend at church. She was recently diagnosed with inoperable stage 4 cancer. It will be gifted to her on Friday, when I meet her for the first time. I used the scraps from this quilt: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...79053.htmlally and the remaining half of a Psalms panel I had from a previous comfort quilt. The back is a soft butter yellow flannel and the quilting, which I did from the back, is an overall flower design that I did on my Tiara sit-down. My version of a Yellow Brick Road. I really struggled with the label, but finally decided on: HOPE is being able to see that there is LIGHT despite all the darkness. Don't let the tall weeds cast a shadow on the flowers in your garden.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556053[/ATTACH]
The second quilt is a bug jar quilt pattern from MSQC with a twist of my own: the three magnifying glasses on the bottom for three larger prints. Since I took a row of jars off, there were 39 jars which threw off my idea of putting two of each fabric for a matching game. My solution: use the last jar for my honey comb fabric. This is a Christmas gift for the 2 yr. old daughter, a friend of the family whose Mom is an entomology professor. I will quilt it in a variegated thread using a meander.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556055[/ATTACH]
The last is a full size quilt for our DGD whose dad is making her bunk beds with a full mattress on the bottom and a twin on the top. The twin is in progress, but here is the full. The twin will be the same fabrics, with the same border, but a different block, the Studio Block from MSQC. My only suggestion is the MSQC Hunter Star pattern calls for using layer cakes, but when I starched them (because of the bias outside edges on the HSTs), they shrunk so I couldn't use the 5" squares without wasting a lot of the fabric. So..............I cut the blocks down to 4 1/2" and the HST down to 2 1/2" and added another charm pack to make it one row wider and one row longer. I'll probably use two different stencils for the two different blocks in the quilt. Any suggestions?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556056[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf5173.jpg   dscf5175.jpg   dscf5178.jpg  
Old 08-16-2016, 01:39 PM

They all look beautiful to me. No suggestions. The people who use these will just love them. The colors are so soft, yet bright. I just can't do this color thing.ha
Old 08-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

​Great quilt tops! I love your magnifying glasses on the bottom of your bug jar top! I might put a star in the 4 patch blocks to mimic the star blocks.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 PM

Three beautiful quilts! Very thoughtful for each recipient.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

very nice quilts nice job!!!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:33 PM

They are all really nice!! You are one busy quilter!! Wow! Very pretty!! All three of them!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

all look great, love the multi color hunter's star
Old 08-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

All are super, My prayers go out to your friends daughter. Hopefully this quilt will be a comfort. The bug quilt is fun. Love the idea of also making it a match game quilt. I love the last quilt the colors and the pattern. Can you take a rest now? BrendaK
Old 08-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Love your three quilts Ann! Prayers for the recipient of the first quilt. The bug quilt is just too cute and the magnifying glasses just add so much. Emilia's quilt is beautiful!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:37 AM

The lady with cancer has to be too young. You are an angel for making her a quilt. I love the bug jar too. I've been collecting bug fabric but have not got mine made yet.

Marcia