Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
has this ever happened to you? >

has this ever happened to you?

has this ever happened to you?

Old 08-16-2016, 06:26 PM

Default has this ever happened to you?

I was looking at a Joann's sale item, went to Amazon to see if there reviews and there was one supplier who had exactly the same thing with free shipping $2 less. The same thing happened with several sewing items on Overstock. In both cases, all the alternative prices were significantly higher. I wonder if what I am looking at off of Amazon is being tracked by Amazon. This has happened a half a dozen times for everything from storage bins to rulers to needles. It has also happened a couple of times with things on Massdrop. Just curious if any of you folks have noticed this.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 PM

It happens a lot in all areas not just quilting. If I want something specific I usually check it out on-line for several reasons.
1.) what does it cost and do I still want it
2.) where to get it locally or is it better to have it shipped to me
3.) if I am impulse buying, then I try to avoid looking on-line because I know that it will be cheaper somewhere else.

When it comes to buying a roll of batting, I prefer to buy it on-line because it is cheaper and it is delivered. (Stores rarely have anyone available to help you out to your car here.)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:54 PM

I hear you. I have been able to get a number of big, heavy items delivered to the door and it is so nice not to have to wrestle it home from the store -- if someone can put it in the car there is generally no one around to help me get it out of the car.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 AM

There is much tracking of your online perusing these days. I do very little online shopping as a rule. I was looking for a specific item a few months back and looked at various specific retailers websites as well as just doing a general google search. I'm still getting (sidebar) ads show up on various webpages for those items.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

we are so lucky today to be able to 'shop around' right at home
Old 08-17-2016, 03:24 AM

I find most items that I need cheaper on Amazon. And if your put an item in your Cart and leave it there, the price many times goes down. My last order was for my coffee, insect control, and Oreck vacuum cleaner belts - all were cheaper than WalMart and saved me gas money as well as tax on the belts.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:50 AM

The online companies are getting very creative. If you look at something on line, but don't buy it right away, you will probably get a come-on in a few days for a better price, or free shipping. Then that give you time to ask yourself the age old question....do I really want or need this.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:21 AM

I shop at Walmart for groceries most of the time and a few times the price at register has been less than price on shelf...I asked and cashier said it was price matching competitor........good for me!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

The last time I was in JAF, I saw that RK Kona cotton was $8.99. It was second quality fabric since it was not on the original RK card bolt. I can get first quality Kona online for around $5.49 a yard.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
The last time I was in JAF, I saw that RK Kona cotton was $8.99. It was second quality fabric since it was not on the original RK card bolt. I can get first quality Kona online for around $5.49 a yard.
I haven't bought much kona fabric. Can you tell me how I can tell if its on the orginal RK card bolt?