Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy trip around the world ? >

Scrappy trip around the world ?

Scrappy trip around the world ?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:04 AM

Default Scrappy trip around the world ?

I want to make a scrappy TAW, like the quilt in the link below. Since there are different colors in the rounds, it is scrappy and not done with a set number of colors. She mentions below the number of twelve inch blocks. Could someone help me out with how this might have been done. I like the softness of the color scheme with all the lights and the splash of color.
Thanks
She seems to have a set number of lights between the darker color rounds. https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/freshpaisley/9028836173/

Last edited by Joan in AK; 08-22-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 AM

Sorry if this is not much help but I would use a design wall and lay the colors out until they are pleasing to you.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:17 AM

Her squares are 6 squares by 6 squares and her brights are on the main diagonals. Which means each piece before sewing is 2 1/2 inches with seam allowances.

Then on the 4 and 2 diagonals, she used the same colors (so six more of 2 medium colors) and then she did 18 lights.

I suggest you isolate out one block and then it is very easy to see how she laid out her color paths on the diagonals. Once you get it drawn and colored, there might be a quick way to strip piece and then pull a seam like you would in a bargello if they rotate the same which I think they do.

Your strip pieces would need to be at least 6 x 2 1/2 inches = 15 or more for cutting/trimming so you could easily use the smaller side of a fat quarter for each color.

It's actually not to terribly hard once you wrap your mind around what steps you have to do!

Last edited by luvspaper; 08-22-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

You might look at Bonnie Hunter's bargello. She does it scrappy.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...-bargello.html
Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 AM

My goodness how did you figure that out? I don't know that I fully understand what you said. Let me try and summarize. For each 12 inch block she has
6 x 2 1/2 x 15" strips which she sews into a panel. Is that correct so far? Are these sewn into a cylinder and then subcut into 2 1/2" strips, and for each 12" block she moves the top square down one? I don't get your second paragraph about the diagonals. I looked at the quilt again and wasn't able to isolate a block.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:19 AM

Maniac quilter, I was thinking Bargello but I thought she did it within the block. I was thinking cut six 2 1/2 x 15" strips and sew together (For right side of bottom of quilt top, bright would be on bottom of column 1). Cut column of strips apart every 2 1/2" (will end up with 6 columns). Then unstitch the top piece from column 2 and stitch it to bottom. In column 3 unstitch between piece 2 and 3 and stitch piece 1/2 below the bright. Continue with all the columns. Then sew the columns together. On the flicker site, move the arrows and you'll see more close ups.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556525[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 08-22-2016, 08:20 AM

If you go to the website listed above, there is a tab for "Free Patterns" there is a Trip Around the World pattern in the list which explains her method. It is for a twin size but you can keep going to make it as large as you want.

I have made a couple of TAW and just laid it out and sewed it row by row, I needed to see for myself what the order would look like.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

One block, made like any TATW block (find directions from Bonnie Hunter here - http://quiltville.com/scrappytripspf.html) and with dark color on diagonal, light colors elsewhere. I used a 10x10 setting (she says 81 blocks, but TATW needs an even number of blocks) and 2" blocks for a quilt that's 120x120 - can always make it smaller though.
Attached Thumbnails tatw-block.jpg   tatw-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-22-2016, 11:15 AM

Thank you to everyone for your help, especially to Maureen and Dunster for your block drawings, and Dunster for your explanation of colors and picture of the quilt. The link to Quiltville's Many Trips Quilt was very helpful. This is such a pretty quilt.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
If you go to the website listed above, there is a tab for "Free Patterns" there is a Trip Around the World pattern in the list which explains her method. It is for a twin size but you can keep going to make it as large as you want.

I have made a couple of TAW and just laid it out and sewed it row by row, I needed to see for myself what the order would look like.
Thanks for the link to Bonnie Hunter instructions. They were very good although I would find it less confusing not to sew them in a ring. I also love the softness of the flicker quilt. I have to put this on my to do list.