Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jazz Opinions Pleased >

Jazz Opinions Pleased

Jazz Opinions Pleased

Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 PM

Question Jazz Opinions Pleased

I'm looking into buying the Jazz by Baby Lock. At my local dealer it is $999.00 which includes 2 years maintenance/ service plus gobs of years on the motor and parts.
I have purchased 2 other Baby Lock machines from them and very pleased with the service.

What is your experience with the Jazz.......pros and cons......honestly.

TIA, Jennifer
Old 10-26-2016, 05:06 PM

I purchased the Jazz back in August and picked it up the first week of September. This was a previous posting on the board.
I have been playing around with the Jazz...so here is my review:

The height is 45/8 inches throat width ( right of needle) is 12 inches. Free motion quilted a table topper and tried my hand at coming up with a kimono design that I could use of fabric that I picked up at an estate sale yesterday. ( 9 Japanese fabrics in a kit without a pattern for $5).
Pros:
1. Size of the throat. (Need to understand my perspective as I have quilted a king and queen size quilts on a regular machine)
2. Bobbin winding- uniform in winding and tension plus easy to navigate the bobbin threading
3. Threading the machine- easy navigation and use of threading device
4. Needle stays down when stopped if placed in down position before sewing ( machine doesn't have a needle down/ up button) it may just be me when I stop who knows but the needle 9 times out of 10 remains down for me.
5. Stitches include among 28 others: blanket stitch, patchwork, scallop, and star
i don't need to stop and set up my Janome Horizon 12000 to do appliqué now. I can just continue with the Jazz.
6. Variable stitch width and lengths to suit quilting needs
7. Fairly quiet but is mechanical ( quieter than my Viking Emerald 118)
7. Can purchase extension table ( on Christmas list)
8. Thread holder can be used horizontal or vertical
9. 28 stitches - easy to select by turning a knob on the side and selecting picture of stitch.
10. Stitches even - no problems with tension
11. 2 compartments in the removable flat bed attachment
12. Knee lift

Cons:
1. Thread cutter on side of machine seems dull at times. Seems like you need to cut the thread from the front rather than the back.
2. Top thread through the needle must be at least 6 inches long or held tightly in hand otherwise if you use the thread cutter and then start sewing the front thread pulls out of the needle and you end up needing to rethread the machine. I have had plenty of practice threading today. Lol
3. Foot pedal seems a bit awkward, groans and takes a few seconds to get going. I have yet to find the sweet spot.
Update, I think the foot pedal needs a breaking in time. Seems to run better after using the machine for a month and a half.

Overall, I am please with the Jazz considering I was able to trade in a 1990 embroidery machine that only straight stitched and whose LED screen went dark.

When I purchased the machine , I also received 14 other feet attachments that included a walking foot and a stitch in the ditch foot. Love these attachments.