Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musty smell from Whittles Fabrics?? >

Musty smell from Whittles Fabrics??

Musty smell from Whittles Fabrics??

Old 11-05-2016, 02:33 PM

Default Musty smell from Whittles Fabrics??

Over the years, I've ordered from Whittles Fabrics online 6-7 times. The fabric came quickly. It was good quality. The prices were great. The shipping was reasonable. But every single time, on each order, the fabric smelled musty----kind of like fabric that has been stored in a basement.

When the order arrives, I leave the fabric on the back porch for a couple of days to air it out because I don't want the smell to spread to my stash. The smell does eventually lessen after 2-3 days outside. Has anyone else had this experience?

Has anyone been to the actual Whittles storefront? Is it in some kind of warehouse that might have a musty smell? I think the storefront is in Kentucky.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:08 PM

I have not ordered from Whittles Fabrics although I get their emails. I hope they would welcome feedback about the purchases made and provide you with an answer regarding the smell. If it were me, I would contact them and let them know about it. Will follow this thread to see what happens.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:44 PM

I was there a few years ago - it is a huge warehouse. They had lots of fabrics that I liked, and I especially remember how helpful the lady was.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I have ordered from them but don't remember any unpleasant smell... and I would have noticed. Maybe there was some problem in the area where yours was stored, or how it was shipped or something. You should definitely let them know. I'm sure they would appreciate knowing.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:47 PM

I have been there, I wouldn't call it a warehouse, it is an average size store in a country setting (no other shops nearby). They do have silk flowers and those supplies for arrangements in one half of the shop as I remember, maybe that is what you smell? I do not remember any unusual odors either when visiting or in any of the many orders I have received.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:35 AM
Administrator

any fabric store that stocks a wide variety is going to smell quite differently to one that only stocks cotton fabrics marketed specifically to quilters. fabrics will pick up odors from each other and from the environment in general.

it's also true that individuals might smell things others don't notice.
and that what is unpleasant to one will not bother another.

you should do two things:
1. send an email to the store so they can double-check their storage area; and
2. either continue airing the fabrics before bringing them into the house; or
3. take newly delivered fabrics straight to the washer and dryer so they will smell the way you want them to before you add them to your stash.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 PM

Could it be the carton?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:12 AM

I order from them a couple times a month and have never had a problem. They are very prompt in shipping
Old 11-07-2016, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

Hmm. Never heard of them but I certainly would throw into my washer before taking into my house. It may be the boxes and where they keep their boxes. Many boxes give off an odor and it's usually the type glue used. You could also give the fabric a shake and hang outdoors for about an hour. See if it smells. Repeat. If same then wash or let soak in a white vinegar/water bath.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:07 AM

All fabrics goes through a warehouse at some point. Depends on the length of time it is there, location and condition of warehouse, dyes used in the original fabric, was fabric wrapped in plastic, type of plastic, rolled onto cardboard, type of cardboard. Many factors to consider. I always wash any fabric before it comes into my house because I am very sensitive to smell.