Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How interchangeable are cabinets? >

How interchangeable are cabinets?

How interchangeable are cabinets?

Old 11-06-2016, 06:28 PM

Default How interchangeable are cabinets?

I'm always seeing cabinets that i really like. I never know which ones are interchangeable. A friend gave me a kenmore cabinet, but soon figured out that only a Kenmore fit it. The hole was long and very square.

This one is at auction and looks like it will go fairly cheaply. However, I mostly have Singers. This machine is a Nelco and seems to be locked up, according to what they say. I have no interest in the machine, but I like the cabinet.

How interchangeable are the cabinets from one brand to another?

bkay
Attached Thumbnails nelco.png  
Old 11-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Banned

Most vintage Japanese, Necchi and others usually have the same footprint as the older Singers up until the 400 series. That is, the bed is the same size and shape. I have Singer, Brother, generic, and another brand of cabinets and tables and I regularly switch between my Singer, Brother, and other Japanese machines. For Singer cabinets made for the 400/500 series and up, Japanese machines will fit the hinge pin spacing but there will be a gap at the right edge of the machine because those Singers have a longer bed. So yes, depending on the model, you can put a Singer in that cabinet.

Cari
Old 11-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

I like that cabinet, too and if it went cheap I'd buy and make it work for something or make the machine work. A machine not only has to fit the foot print it has to be able to raise and lower.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:08 AM

How interchangeable are the cabinets from one brand to another?

Bkay, I have a Horn cabinet - very nice and very expensive at the time (1995) I bought it for my Janome. Several years ago I bought a Babylock Esante, and while it will sit ON the platform that raises and lowers, the Babylock is too big to go down into the recess so that it is level with the cabinet and definitely will not go down lower in order to close the lid on the cabinet. So there are differences in cabinet platforms - just be prepared. Maybe the seller could give you the dimensions of the cut out (recessing) area.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:41 AM

This question brings back memories! My mother did not change out her sewing machines very often, but whenever she did, I recall my dad altering the cut-out as needed.

Last year the motor went out on my 91 year old mother's Kenmore. She definitely did not want a new sewing machine for two reasons: she did want to have to learn a "new fangled" machine, and Dad isn't with us anymore to make the cabinet alteration. She didn't have to worry -- her Kenmore ran good as new once the repairman worked on the motor brushes.