Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Visiting Phoenix -- Suggestions? >

Visiting Phoenix -- Suggestions?

Visiting Phoenix -- Suggestions?

Old 11-10-2016, 12:07 PM

Cool Visiting Phoenix -- Suggestions?

Hey, hoping all the Phoenix members might make suggestions for things to do when visiting later this month!
Thanks!
Old 11-10-2016, 11:21 PM

the Botanical Gardens are really nice and the 35th Ave Sewing store (think that is the name) is amazingly huge--what a selection of fabrics. We also took in a hockey game and have a great time.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:08 AM

I went to Phoenix several years ago, don't really remember the local things I did, but do remember taking a 2 day trip up to the Grand Canyon - if you have never been, it is a great side trip - not sure when all the special things going on there close down (trail rides), but it is open for sight seeing from the rim - went the 1st week in December - pictures do not do it justice - just beautiful!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:27 AM

The 35th fabric store is called 35th Av. Sew and Vac. It actually is on street called Northern and store is on the other side of 35th Av. Not far off I17 freeway. Downtown Glendale Az there is fun shopping for arts, antiques and this and that sort of stores. Good restaurants there too. Old town Scottsdale is always fun to walk around. It is quite a place but pricy. Camelback Square is a wonderful shopping center with lots of trendy stores. Downtown Phx has the Phx Art Museum. And then a drive up to Carefree and Cave Creek is a fun way to make a big circle of north Maricopa County. Traveling to the Grand Canyon from Phx will be about 3:30 min. one way. You will drive up I17 to Flagstaff (another fun place walk around) and then further north to the canyon. It is a long "day" trip. I would suggest you spend the night in Flagstaff and drive down to Phx the next morning. I could go on and on - hope this helps. Marcia
Old 11-11-2016, 10:53 AM

Sedona is also an interesting place to visit.
Last time I went to Phoenix it was for a baseball game, and we didn't do any sight seeing. We are going back to Phoenix in April for my DH & DD to attend the NCAA Final 4 tournament - me, I get to stay with my quilting buddy and we are going to have our won private quilting retreat at her home. I can hardly wait.

Hope you have a great time.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:17 PM

I don't live there but check out the Modern quilt store. Great fabrics and really nice people
Old 11-11-2016, 10:31 PM

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:50 PM

Mulqueens is a great quilt store. The Phoenix Zoo is awesome. Our son took us to a Japanese garden area that has HUGE ponds with the beautiful fish. Koi??? Can't remember the name of them but you can feed them.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04 AM

I would suggest going on line and ordering the booklet from the Arizona tourism - I just ordered one for myself. I would love to go to the Grand Canyon some day and the surrounding area, and, of course, visit a quilt shop or two.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Sedona is also an interesting place to visit.
Last time I went to Phoenix it was for a baseball game, and we didn't do any sight seeing. We are going back to Phoenix in April for my DH & DD to attend the NCAA Final 4 tournament - me, I get to stay with my quilting buddy and we are going to have our won private quilting retreat at her home. I can hardly wait.

Hope you have a great time.
We went to Sedona this last Spring. They had a WONDERFUL quilt shop. I don't know if I remember the name, but I think it is the only one in town. They had wonderful things and it was a large store. I had a great time there and the employees were wonderful as well.