Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question - Vintage Kenmore 158-17033 >

Question - Vintage Kenmore 158-17033

Question - Vintage Kenmore 158-17033

Old 11-13-2016, 03:43 PM

Default Question - Vintage Kenmore 158-17033

Hey folks! I had posted earlier in the summer about scoring this machine for $10 at a yard sale. I'm still working on reconditioning the machine and gathering all its parts and attachments. Question for anyone who has this machine... I've researched online but can't figure this out... is this considered a high shank machine OR a super-high shank machine? It actually looks a lot like a slant shank, but apparently only Singer had slants so it can't be. Also, there's a little "flippy" lever on the right-hand side of the presser foot shank. It flips back and forth but doesn't seem to have any use other than holding the presser foot on. From what I can see in the manual, it's called the "Presser Foot Lock" - is that really its only function? It also has a tiny nut on the lever. I've attached a couple of pictures below so that you can see what I'm talking about. First picture is looking at the presser foot from the left, second is looking from the right.

Would love to chat with anyone who has this machine also.
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-foot-1.jpg   kenmore-foot-2.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
... Would love to chat with anyone who has this machine also.
Sorry, I don't have this machine. However, according to some info that I have regarding Kenmore shanks, it looks like you have the super high shank. The info I have has the super high height listed as 29mm (just a little over an inch) from the bottom of the foot to the the screw hole. I know sew-classic has an adapter - so you can use low shank feet. http://shop.sew-classic.com/Adaptor-...Low-P60666.htm

I know one of my Kenmores has that lever and took me a while to figure it out. I didn't find any other function for it.

There is an old thread here about this model - http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t175509.html

Janey, Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-13-2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: correct link
Old 11-14-2016, 05:21 AM

Yahoo has two old kenmore sewing machine groups. I'm not a member of that group, but am a member of several yahoo groups. They can be quite helpful when you're working on a project. You have to join, but that only takes a couple of days.
bkay
Old 11-14-2016, 01:51 PM

I have one. It's a super high shank. Finding feet for these is a bear. Most places don't have anything but the high shank. I got the adapter but it's more trouble than it's worth IMHO.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:43 PM

High shank, the lever will help you remove the foot. Do you have a manual? In the manual it shows how the lever works.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:09 PM

Thanks MaggieLou and others. I had another Kenmore a few years back, and thought I remembered this being the super-high shank. Thanks for clarifying that I was correct! You know, the funny part is, I bought the adapter way back when.. and now I can't find it! I've gone through all of my boxes of attachments and it hasn't turned up yet! Guess I need to keep looking.

Pat, yes I have the manual and I know that lever comes off when you remove the foot. I've just never seen a lever like that on any other machine and was wondering why they designed it that way because it seems so weird!
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Banned

Because Sears did everything they could to make sure their machines and fiddly bits would not interchange with other brands.

Cari
Old 11-15-2016, 06:58 AM

Good answer, Cari! LOL
Old 11-15-2016, 08:06 AM

Super high shank. I have a Kenmore that uses these feet. Look on eBay periodically for the accessories. The thing about these vintage machines is that, for a variety of reasons, the machines and their parts become available at thrift stores, flea markets, auction houses, and of course online at sites like eBay--at a fraction of what they cost new. And you won't find this kind of quality in today's market. I love the versatility and convenience of newer machines, but my old Kenmore is a workhorse and will probably outlast the newer machines. And it makes beautiful stitches.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:49 PM

My first sewing machine was a Kenmore we bought new in about 1977. It still works and was my only machine until a few years ago when my children were out of college and I finally decided on a " fancy new" machine, a Janome 7700. That little lever works to quickly switch out feet with no problem. I love it! I don't remember the machine ever needing a repair and I oil it myself. I think mine was a model 1941, but it looks like yours. Congratulations on a great machine acquisition.