Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question about multiple borders >

A question about multiple borders

A question about multiple borders

Old 11-25-2016, 05:41 AM

Default A question about multiple borders

I almost always add multiple borders to my quilt tops. Sometimes I might have as many as four borders. I hate doing the sewing and measuring, I'm always off somehow. I have wondered many times why I can't just sew the border fabrics together in a strip and then handle it as just one piece of fabric. Because so many of my best ideas have flaws in them, I thought I would ask you more experienced quilters why this isn't a good idea. I have never seen it in any of the quilt books I've bought but that doesn't mean it's not OK to do. Please help me out here. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

If my borders are plain not pieced, I do sew them together before adding them to the quilt. I leave a little extra (about 1/2 inch) but pin to match the measurement and ease in the top. I try to get them all sewn on without having to add a little so I don't get wavy borders but I would rather be 1/4 inch extra then be short. If I am mitering, I leave the width of the borders plus the 1/2 inch extra.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:50 AM

I do multiple borders together; it seems like a good idea to me, too. You might have to miter the corners to get the look you want - otherwise the inner borders will reach out to the outside edges when you attach the ends. I feel like I've seen this in books before, although I can't remember where. Give it a try and see how you like it!
Old 11-25-2016, 05:58 AM

When I have two borders and want to miter the corners, I sew my borders together as a strip pieced unit and handle it as one unit. I typically don't do it that way for squared-off borders but I don't have a valid reason why. Most likely it's because after I add a border, I stop to ponder if it needs something else or if it's time to call it done.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:16 AM

I always sew all of my borders together before attaching because I miter them and it is so much easier this way.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

When sewing on multiple borders as a strip set you must miter the corners or you can stop them with a border cornerstone. If you don't miter you end up with your strip set extending all the way out to the edge of the quilt instead of each color in the strip turning the corner at a 90 degree angle.

Here is a link on a google search on how to miter borders, lots of tutorials out there.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...quilt%20border

Edited to add, I just found a tute for your particular situation with lots of pics.

http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2009/08...-tutorial.html

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-25-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:30 AM

If mitering the corners, then yes, I sew them together and treat as one unit. But if not, then I sew them on individually. I measure my quilt through the center - both horizontally and vertically - to get my border measurement and then ease or stretch a bit to get them to match my quilt edge.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

You just need to decide how to do the corners. You can miter them, use a pieced or plain corner block, or do a quarter log cabin block to make your individual borders meet.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

If you miter the corners, be aware that you need a *lot* of extra fabric -- basically the width of your 4 borders pieced together times 2 (one for each side) plus at least a couple of extra inches for safety. (Oh, and remember for the last two it's *4* times the pieced border because your second border measurements have to include the length added by the first two borders.)

A lot of people find mitering to be difficult. Because the sewn edges are all bias, there is a tendency to stretch them out of shape while you work with them. Once you get some experience with them, mitered corners are not a problem, but if you are already having issues with the measuring and sewing of borders, you might find mitering very frustrating.

You might want to focus instead on eliminating the problems you have with measuring and cutting the borders. Probably the easiest I have seen for cutting is to lay the border fabric along the middle of the quilt (quilt can be folded at the middle or not), cut a border to exactly match that middle, then cut the other border to exactly match the first cut. Fold both borders and the quilt in half and iron in a crease (or place a pin) at the halfway mark. Fold again to find the quarter marks. Pin ends and creases together before sewing, including extra pins between your crease marks. Iron the seams of the first two borders flat, then go through the same process again with the quilt for the remaining two borders. On the one hand it's a few extra steps to do this for four borders; however, when you sew all the borders together first and then have to miter, that last step of mitering can cause you to pull out your hair. (Do not ask me how I know this. I will admit to mitering multiple borders exactly once.)

Last edited by Prism99; 11-25-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:34 AM

This has been an interesting post as I have often wondered about sewing more than one border together...but I have not yet tried any mitering...I do my borders exactly the way Prism99 explains.

I did visit jaybirdquilts.com and saved the tutorial that Feline suggested. What a great blog Julie has...

Last edited by jmoore; 11-26-2016 at 03:43 AM.