Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any special considerations for >

Any special considerations for

Any special considerations for

Old 12-01-2016, 04:07 PM

Default Any special considerations for

Fabric that has a metallic sheen, especially these beautiful holiday fabrics. They feel just a tad thicker and stiffer than regular quilting cotton and I'm wondering....

1: How will they wash up?
2: How will they press? I am a starch and pressing fanatic before I begin piecing, makes it so much nicer, I don't want to ruin them.
3: I'm concerned that if they don't press well or as crisp as others that my seam allowances may be thicker and not lay as nicely.

I don't have many, just a few fat quarter bundles and jelly rolls.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

i was told the gold designs on fabrics tend to go a bit dull with dryer use. but i have more fat qtrs to use up so will see one day. i do have some yardage with no designer name on it that has lots of lovely gold. I will wash it and see how it does.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:26 PM

I've used a variety of different metallic prints in quilts with no issues. I've had one that I use each Christmas season on my coffee table that has a (small) metallic background fabric. It gets food spilled, kids drooling, etc. so it gets washed quite thoroughly with no ill effects. I've also made some bed sized quilts with those fabrics and they are still going strong as well.

I, too, am a pre-washer and presser before and (pressing that is) during construction. I press every seam at every point during the construction. Have not had an issue in that area either. If the design is feeling like 'fabric paint' on the top of the fabric, you might want to use a pressing cloth when pressing the top side of the fabric but that would be the only consideration I would beware.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Like NJ Quilter I use a variety of metallic fabrics in my quilts and I haven't had any problems with washing the fabric or ironing. The couch quilt (65" X 65") I made my sister is now 4 years old and has been wash many times already. It still looks good and the metallic in the fabric has held up nicely.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:42 PM

I have used fabrics with gold on them and they looked lovely. However, I've found that most of the metallic ink disappeared after multiple washings, leaving behind a muted gold print instead. These are place mats and a lap quilt that I have; I don't know what the condition is for quilts I've given away.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:19 AM

I've had metallics fade off a bit too, in a quilt that gets used just about daily and washed on a very regular basis. It doesn't look BAD, though - just not as glittery. Other quilts have metallics that still look new - so could be from lots of washing, could be from initial quality...either way it still looks good though.

They do feel a bit stiffer than regular fabrics but I've always treated them just like any other fabric and never had any ill effects.

I really like metallics - too pretty not to use them!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I had great success with metallic and no wear issues. I'm sure the name brands are more reliable than off brands.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I had great success with metallic and no wear issues. I'm sure the name brands are more reliable than off brands.

I still use fabrics with metallics, but "name brands are" not necessarily "more reliable." The quilt I have is done with Hoffman fabrics and the gold ink has disappeared. I love the quilt despite it's lack of glitter!
Old 12-03-2016, 03:24 AM

I, too, have used the glittery fabrics with no problem. Used them in crib or baby quilts that have been used, abused and laundered repeatedly. I don't think the glitter is any less than the rest of the quilt.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:46 AM

I haven't had any issues using them. I'm glad too because I love them especially in Christmas fabrics.