Lettuce crisper

Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 AM

Default Lettuce crisper

This is interesting...I had for ,any years that green lettuce crisper from Tupperware and loved it...somehow when we moved last (10 yrs ago) it got "lost"... So I came across another type, but the dome is very large and I have to wrestle to get it into the veggie bin of fridge...so thought today, I will search for a new Tupperware one.....well, it appears, they are extinct! Doesn't anyone use lettuce crispers anymore? I buy anything but the round heads of lettuce, no nutritional value, and being just me eating it...it needs to have a good freshness hold.....so what do you do?
btw..I did check eBay..they have the oldies...about 8.99ish, plus $8 s&h...I think I want new! If I can find something that will fit well.....
I read somewhere to moisten a paper towel and put at root(clean cut first) of lettuce, celery, etc...I do that and it does work too, but I so like the containers...keeps from bruising the leaves.....
Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I still have an old rubbermaid one. but couldn't find it after moving until recently, so had ordered one online. a green bag with draw string. different!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM

I had the same one from Tupperware for years but it got lost sometime ago. I just bought a new one a few weeks ago I found on line, not Tupperware and the top will not stay on and it is hard to fit in the ref. so I am back with the green veg, bags again.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I love that green one!! I still have mine from eons ago. I have another brand, frosted plastic with a blue top, and a spindle for the lettuce, I think (don't use it much) but it is too big.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:40 PM

I recently discovered that using a gallon freezer bag keeps lettuce fresh for. much longer than anything else I've tried. I found the damp paper towel just hastened the rotting process of the lettuce. I don't wash the loose leaf or iceberg, just take it out of the package and put it in the baggie. I too lost my beloved "greenie" in a move.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:22 PM

If you are fixed on getting the old Tupperware version, maybe a thrift shop find, a yard sale find, or post on Craig's list? I'm not too familiar with Craig's list so I'm not certain if you can post a "looking for" type of ad? Our Canadian version is Kijiji and you can put that type of advertisement there.
Good luck!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 PM

I wonder where all the lettuce keepers go............strange!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I usually put Romaine and other leaf lettuces in a large baggie with a DRY paper towel around it.
But I have recently discovered a remarkable product at Amazon that works to keep all produce longer without spoiling....as in like fresh raspberries for over a week! It's calledBluapple and is a set of 2 little blue balls that open to contain a little packet of stuff that "eats" the ethylene gas that produce makes. I use one in each drawer. Check them out! https://www.amazon.com/Bluapple-2-pa...+produce+saver

Jan in VA
Old 12-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Anyone have a salad spinner? I adore, adore, adore mine! We don't buy Iceberg (round head) either. I just bought 4 heads of speciality heads packaged in 1 clear container and a 3 pack of Romaine. I wash well then cut across and load my salad spinner. Don't overload. Spin , empty water, repeat. Put whole thing in refrig. Lettuce is dry and flavorful.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:53 PM

I put mine in gallon ziploc with a paper towel, but don't close it. Keeps fresh for weeks.