need new phone

Old 12-09-2016, 10:30 AM

Default need new phone

Ok ladies and gents; I need some help here to pick out a phone for me. I now have Sprint and finally out of contract and I pay 133.00 a month. I hardly use this phone, but I do like to text, take pictures, etc. I don't need an I phone, but I think I want just a trac phone (i guess that's what it is) where I pay monthly, but not under contract. Can anyone out there tell me a good one to get; where; and how much a month do you pay and how much to spend on a phone? Any info appreciated. Probably go to Walmart, but it is always so busy there and really not very knowledgeable so I would like some info before I go; don't want to appear too stupid. Thanks I/A.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:42 AM

I got my phone at Family dollar it was 35.00 I pay 45$ a month can do all internet take pictures it does everything. I believe it is a verizon phone but there are others too. A lot of people have straight talk from Walmart
Old 12-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

well i wouldn't get a samsung with all their battery problems in the news. i have an LG. simple but i can text and do photos. all i need. I pay about $47.00 A T & T.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I got on AT&T when unlimited data was $40 a month. We were grandfathered in the plan when it was no longer offered to customers. We have three iphones on the unlimited plans so total cost is $120 before fee and taxes and all the other charges that make no sense on the bill. The Track phone data plan from Walmart is excellent but the phone cost about the same as any other smart phone.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by sash View Post
Ok ladies and gents; I need some help here to pick out a phone for me. I now have Sprint and finally out of contract and I pay 133.00 a month. I hardly use this phone, but I do like to text, take pictures, etc. I don't need an I phone, but I think I want just a trac phone (i guess that's what it is) where I pay monthly, but not under contract. Can anyone out there tell me a good one to get; where; and how much a month do you pay and how much to spend on a phone? Any info appreciated. Probably go to Walmart, but it is always so busy there and really not very knowledgeable so I would like some info before I go; don't want to appear too stupid. Thanks I/A.
I have a tracfone, but only use it to make long distant calls. I don't text or take photos. If you go to tracfones website you can put in your zip code & it will tell you what phones will work in your area. You can compare models. Also there's a tracfone yahoo group.

Not sure how good they are at taking photos. I haven't looked at the new phones they have out. Mine phone (one of the cheaper models) is over a year old now. With mine I'd have to e-mail photos to myself. The newer models may have other options.

I buy a 1 year card with 400 minutes. My phone gives me triple minutes for life, so I actually get 1200 minutes with the card. Then I search for bonus codes (http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com...omo-codes.html) & often get another free 250-300 minutes. Tracfone also has different programs/monthly rates that sends minutes to your phone. How many depends on how many you buy. You can check everything on their site before you buy.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:44 PM

Look into Ting
Old 12-09-2016, 04:00 PM

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My son organized getting the phones for me and his dad. Anyway, the the phones were reconditioned but the Ting company services the minutes etc. We pay (for two phones) 6$ per 100 minutes, 100 messages each. Our bill is never more than 23$ per month give or take. We use them mainly for when his dad is on his bicycle. So that if he has a puncture he can phone me and I can pick him up. It works well for us. I should add that we are not affiliated with Ting. Also, I think that Ting is only available in the continental US. I wanted to get my sister hooked up who is in England, but it does not seem to be available there
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 PM

thanks all.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:24 AM

I purchased a Tracphone at Walmart. I rarely use my phone, but I purchase a card to add minutes every other month. I currently have over 400 minutes and service until April, 2017. I spend $30 every other month. It has a camera and test is available, but I don't use those. My phone is mostly for emergencies and to maintain contact with my 90 year old mother.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:48 AM

I have a several year old Samsung Galaxy 4 w/Verizon. It's only myself on the plan. I pay @ $65/mo. for relatively limited data but unlimited talk/text. Most of the major carriers now only 'rent' phones. Or you pay in the neighborhood of $800 to buy it outright for your average smartphone. To the best of my knowledge it was only the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 that was having battery issues...not the other Galaxy phones.

I've been looking myself. I like my galaxy and really don't want to have to learn another phone! When I checked into the trackphone variations - I wasn't really getting a better deal than what I have with my current Verizon plan. Rarely do I go over my data limit but most monthly plans now are unlimited everything for an outrageous (to me) cost. DH has both a slightly newer galaxy than mine and an Iphone. His Iphone makes me crazy. And most people that I know w/Iphones have issues of many varieties all the time. I would run really far and really fast in the opposite direction from one of those.

All of that said, a friend recently purchased 2 new smartphones (at different times in the last 6-12 months) from QVC. Double minutes deals and other incentives. She's happy with them for her and her DH. But neither of them particularly use their phones. Hers sits turned off in her purse most of the time. But it might be worth checking QVC for any deals. But as someone else mentioned, go to the tracphone website and see what kind of coverage they have in your area.