Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Standard Rotary treadle tension reassembly help! >

Standard Rotary treadle tension reassembly help!

Standard Rotary treadle tension reassembly help!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Default Standard Rotary treadle tension reassembly help!

I have been cleaning up a Standard Rotary treadle machine. It is a stout version with latest patent date of 1904. The stitch length slider is oriented at a right angle to the pillar rather than the version that is parallel to the pillar. Unfortunately, as I disassembled the upper tension a part or parts fell on the floor (yeah, I should be flogged!), and I am trying to reassemble. Yes, I have pictures if I can figure out how to upload. My question is, the spring closest to the machine has a metal washer attached that must go either between the tension disks and the flat cover, or on the outside of the disk cover. I am leaning to outside of disk cover because that would explain the mark on the cover. However, there was a felt disk I found on the floor that I can't explain. The indentation seems to fit on top of the washer with the bar that fits under the outer spring. Does that sound clear as mud? When I reassemble, the tension doesn't appear to release with the foot lowered.
I know there are some Standard Rotary owner here. I hope you can help me figure it out! Now to figure out the pictures...
Old 12-27-2016, 09:39 AM

Pictures may help?
Old 12-27-2016, 10:15 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564453[/ATTACH]
this is image of tension before disassembly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564454[/ATTACH] parts I have. Felt piece is center bottom. Disks right bottom. Inner spring with washer top, right of center.cover for tension disks is left of center. I think I have all things reassembled right except not sure if washer goes outside tension disks so disks sandwiched between spring and washer but washer under cover, or otherwise. Don't know where felt goes except not outside of disk cover because then is m visible and don't see it in original image. I think I need to get innermost spring to go thru wall of machine to somehow link with footbar lever. Will try to get pic of inside faceplate to show what it looks like.
thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 2016-12-26-22.19.42.jpg   2016-12-26-22.05.28.jpg  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 AM

Here is tension as it looks now (so shiny clean!) I deeply regret this disassembly. I thought there was a picture of the tension assembly in my Standard manual, but it turns out that was in my singer 301 manual! Not the same.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564455[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20161227_102349.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 07:31 PM

Wow, quite a bit different than the Slim.

Jon
Old 12-30-2016, 08:53 PM

Default Tension working again

https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.c...-two/#comments
this posting gave me the most help in reassembling. The singer 201-2 tension has the most similarity to my Standard Rotary. There is no felt pad in that tension assembly, so I put it between the second tension disk and the outer cover. I don't really think it is having any effect there, but I'm not taking it apart again! The inner spring has a terminal spring hook that appears to have to fit in a cog that is just visible on the inside of the machine. I could not get the spring loop to be springy until I assembled with the loop hanging down and had someone hold the spring inside the face with a screwdriver while I jiggle the outer assembly onto the tension stud. I also realized the tension stud has a release pin inside just like the 201-2! Here is a picture after the final reassembly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564624[/ATTACH]
here is the tension release pin from the outside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564625[/ATTACH]
and inside- red arrow indicates lever that connects release pin to presser foot bar.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564626[/ATTACH]
I don't think the tension release works exactly right, but good enough! It is stitching lovely (with a little help adjusting timing by local Old Sewing Machine Guy at Auburn Sew and Vac. Hope this might help someone who is trying to find info on this machine in the future.
Attached Thumbnails 2016-12-30-20.36.37.jpg   2016-12-30-20.38.39.jpg   2016-12-30-20.41.04.jpg  
Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 AM

Thanks for posting your discoveries. Happy for your lovely stitches now. You win.