Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Square app for payment for quilts >

Square app for payment for quilts

Square app for payment for quilts

Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Default Square app for payment for quilts

Looking for an app to accept payment on my phone. Googled and found "Square for android". Anyone using this service to process payment for your services and how do you like it? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I use it for craft shows. I have used it with an android and now my IPhone. It's great, but they do take a bite of the money, just like Paypal. You have a certain amount you can collect for free when you sign up, but after that amount is reached they start deducting for their percentage, something like 3%?

As I said, I only use it for craft shows, but if I wasn't able to allow people to pay with their credit cards, I'd lose a lot of sales! Seems nobody carries cash anymore.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 PM

sewbizgirl, isn't there also a bank fee if you don't process a minimum amount of sales per month? In addition to the 3 percent?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
sewbizgirl, isn't there also a bank fee if you don't process a minimum amount of sales per month? In addition to the 3 percent?
No, you can use it as much or as little as you want. And the fee actually is 2.7%. If the cards won't swipe and you have to key their number in manually, they change 3.5%... so if you take a payment by phone you'll have to pay the 3.5%.

They give you the swiper attachment for your phone for free, but if you want the fancier one that reads card chips, it costs something like $50 for that one. You can still swipe chipped cards for free, tho.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 PM

Thank you sewbizgirl! I will try Square and it is 2.75
Old 01-17-2017, 05:06 AM

My daughter-in-law makes fine jewelry that she sells at art shows. She uses Square on her ipad which gives her the option also of e-mailing a receipt to the buyer. She found she was losing over 1/3 of her sales when she didn't take credit. She has some things that are under $100 but most of her items are between $200-$500 with some higher because of the gold content and gems. She hasn't had any problems using Square and has used it for some time now. She also has the chip reader. My son who is an artist and does free lance work also uses Square when people commission work. It is not his business like it is my daughter-in-law so he doesn't use it as much.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 AM

An organizer of a local craft show looked into using one. 3% of all sales and something like $150 a year to have it. I'd have to do a heck of a lot of craft shows to justify that $150.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:33 AM

I have one for a different business. Admittedly, have not had to use it yet but Square was the best deal going for cc payments. Any of the bank-issued readers and their cc processing fees were through the roof. Square definitely the hot tip. I use on my android phone.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

We used square in our business, they are cheaper than any other c.c. processing outfit. You don't have to sign a contract. They do not charge $150.00 for anything. Before deciding anything, I would check it out for myself.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 PM

If you have a PayPal account, they offer a similar service called PayPal Here. They just charge a percentage of the sale. No yearly fee, no contracts, etc. They sent me the card reader for free.