Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarmers, what's your favorite invisible thread? >

Longarmers, what's your favorite invisible thread?

Longarmers, what's your favorite invisible thread?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:27 AM

Default Longarmers, what's your favorite invisible thread?

I'm working on a Gravity quilt and have decided I should use invisible thread so the texture of the quilting, not the stitches, is what will show. Have never used invisible on my LA. Do you have a favorite - Superior, Aurifil, Fil-Tec or Invisifil (I know the latter is not technically "invisible" but gets the same feel)? Are there any issues or tips for it on the LA? I'm assuming I'll need to use a thread net but do you have problems with tension or breakage? My Gammill seems to like just about any thread I try on it so I don't have a picky machine. I've heard arguments about poly vs. nylon but don't think nylon is an issue since I won't be ironing the finished quilt or drying it on high and it will probably hang on a wall so it won't get washed very often. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 AM

I don't use the invisible thread - I use 100 weight thread, usually silk, when I want just the texture (and not the thread) to be the focus.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I only use monofiliment for SID and the two brands I like best are Superior Monopoly which is a poly and Filtec Essence which is nylon. Have only used YLI in my domestic but if I were to gauge performance based on that, I feel it would work just as nicely as the aforementioned brands in the LA.

I have never used monofiliment for that kind of FMQ in my LA only slow ditch work around piecing and around applique. Ditch work tends to be very slow so I am not putting the same demands on the thread that I would when doing FMQ like fairly rapid changes in directions and speed such as when doing swoops, swirls and fills.

For any FMQ, fills and motifs that I just want texture and don't want the thread to really stand out I use Wonderfil's Invisifil and match the color as closely as possible to the fabric color. So this may result in you needing to do many thread changes if that is what you go with.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:20 AM

I don't use invisible thread.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:14 PM

Pam, I use Maderia monofilament. It comes on a very large cone, and a stocking over it is a must. It works on my LA as well as my Kenmore and Featherweight. You may have to do a little research on where to get it as I've had mine for awhile. Ordered it online, but can't remember from where. I have also used the Sulky with good luck.
Brenda
Old 01-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I use the monofilament thread from Superior Threads. It is nice to work with, doesn't Street he aot or break. I use cotton ( usually Aurifil) in my bobbin
Old 01-17-2017, 01:33 PM

Superior Threads Invisifil polyester invisible thread. I used it in a wall hanging with a 60 weight bobbin thread, and it was great. Required a very loose tension though. On my HQ I usually go through all three tension holes with 90% of threads. Invisifil only needed one or two holes (I have forgotten which) plus a significant lightening of the main tension know. I used a 14 needle, tough it would have taken even a smaller one.

Pam
Old 01-17-2017, 05:10 PM

I love Superior's monopoly and use it a lot!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 PM

I use Superior's Monopoly with no problems at all on my Gammill--just need the cone net. You might also want to consider Superior's BottomLine--very fine,comes in numerous colors and you wouldn't get any of the shine that you do with an invisible thread.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:17 AM

I use the Superior Monopoly also. It is great when going around a motif so the piecework takes the spotlight and not the quilting.