Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traveling light source? >

Traveling light source?

Traveling light source?

Old 01-26-2017, 06:05 AM

Default Traveling light source?

At home, I have a desktop Ott light and a floor model that I use for hand quilting and stitching. We will be traveling for 6 weeks and I plan on taking a few projects to work on. Any suggestions for a traveling light source? I have a clip-on bendable light on my sewing table but I can't think of a way to use it for hand sewing....thank you!

EDIT: I need a light that I can use in the evenings when I do my hand stitching-a clip on would be great, but what do I clip it onto? My floorlamp is great, but way too large to pack!

Last edited by jillmc; 01-26-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:16 AM

This is a search that will give you some choices.... http://www.miniinthebox.com/popular/...able-lamp.html

You didn't say if you were traveling in an RV or packing a suitcase. I assumed you would want something small that could sit on a table near you. I travel in an rv and use one that I've had for years. The head is not much larger than the light bulb and the "stalk" going from the base to the light is lightly bendable. It's about 24 inches high and has given me great service for over 20 years. It is very similar to this one http://www.miniinthebox.com/modern-f...ml?prm=2.6.1.1 I think I got it at WalMart, but don't know if they carry them anymore. I did buy one that clipped to a table but found that most tables don't have the lip you need to clip it to. The ones with the bases work much better.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

​Bonnie Hunter likes the bendable light from Ikea at her sewing machine. There are lights that attach to your glasses for hand work.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I have this. It works great for me.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lap-Desk-...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 AM

I have several of these from Ikea

https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-201-696-...rds=ikea+janko

Two are in my sewing room and the third lives in my travel bag. Light weight, very bright little spot and reasonably priced.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Another vote for the IKEA lamp. I have several and always take one to retreats.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:33 AM

I know Ott has a traveling light - I have never used it so can't say one way or the other. I have several Ott lights though, 2 floor lamps and 2 table/desk lamps that I do like very much. But I would not take my table lamps traveling with me, I would prefer to the Ikea lamp for $20.00. My daughter bought us a little desk lamp for next to the computer that is very bright. It was from Target and cost about $13.00.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 01-26-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:45 AM

I found the same one, except no front slot which I don't want anyway at Amazon for $18 and free shipping!
Going off to order! Just look for "lap desk with light".
Old 01-26-2017, 02:20 PM

DH recently bought me a clip on LED book light that has a bendable neck. I think it would provide great light for hand sewing but you would certainly need something to clip it onto. A table edge perhaps? He probably picked it up at Target. I was looking for a new 'Ittybitty' book light to replace my slowing dying one and what he came up with was all I saw anywhere as well. Very good lighting. If you have a chance to check it out in person, just make sure the clamp opens large enough to clip onto a table edge.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:35 PM

I also have the book clip light but I clip it to my sweatshirt on my left so I can either read or sew, at home or in the car, or at the hotel. I will be traveling soon for a month and it is on my list to take.