Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hoop ? >

hoop ?

hoop ?

Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 AM

Default hoop ?

I am getting ready ( finally) to sit down and start hand quilting my baby quilt. My question is : how long can you leave a quilt in the hoop? Over night ok or should it be removed after each quilting session? I plan on quilting on it a few hours daily. If I should remove it after each session, I will. Just didn't know if it is ok and better to leave it in the hoop until said section was completely done. Where I am new to this I can not say I will get a whole hoop size of the quilt done in one session. I am not going for speed, but consistency in stitches and if that takes me longer so be it .

Thank you all for the help you give daily to me and others like me who have found a new craft to love.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 AM
Banned

Due to strange circumstances, I once left a quilt in the hoop for more than 10 years. No harm done at all.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:03 AM

Popover, that is very reassuring thank you. Sorry your quilt stayed in the hoop so long, did you get it finished though?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:15 AM

i leave in hoop, except to reposition, until i am done. like popover, i left one wall hanging on scroll frame, which i use for minis and smaller wallhangings, for over ten years. the arthritis in my hands is bad, painful, stiff fingers. i like to have a "warm-up" project to work on for an hour or so to help fingers 'loosen' up and until the stitches are nice. then i start on project to be gifted, as all my quilts have been so far. one wall hanging of 31x26 took me about 13 yrs from cutting out blocks to last stitch in binding ..and no harm done from it being pinned to frame strips for all those years.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 AM

Thank you Roguequilter, I like your tip of warm up before starting on the actual project. I was planning on doing that as well. Just makes sense Now I can prep my quilt in the hoop and go to town. It will make it easier to leave it in the hoop until I am ready to move to a new spot. Less shifting ( although basted well) is most likely better anyway.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:00 PM

dottiemae, I can only agree to what popover and rougequilter have already said. I use a lap frame and my quilts will stay there until I finish them.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:37 PM

thank you Sync, it was just one of those odd questions thought I would ask before getting started.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dottiemae View Post
Popover, that is very reassuring thank you. Sorry your quilt stayed in the hoop so long, did you get it finished though?
Yes, I found it last year and finished it.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:34 PM

I've never had an issue leaving a quilt in a hoop for an extended period. Usually for me it's only months but sometimes - lots of months! I use a lap hoop vs floor but I really don't think it matters at all. Enjoy your project and good luck!