Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Muslin/feed sack veggie bags for fridge? >

Muslin/feed sack veggie bags for fridge?

Muslin/feed sack veggie bags for fridge?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Default Muslin/feed sack veggie bags for fridge?

Learned something new ( for me), but obviously not new! Watched latest webinar of quilt in a day...the second half EB showed and demoed lettuce and celery muslin fridge bags instead of plastic....the original patterns from Ruby McKimm, dated about 1926...used originally in iceboxes. have any of you ever used this method of storing?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Wow. Will be watching this thread. I think my problem would be that I wouldn't be able to see what is inside a muslin bag.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Oh, forgot to mention...cute hand embroidered design identifies each bag....upgrade.......QIAD has exclusive machine embroidered pattern available
Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 AM
KLO

I too like this idea but could not find anything about the bags on the web. Do you have a link to see what these are all about or do you need to be a member of some website to see them?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:43 PM

I have made several bags along this theme. Rather than muslin, I used a strong netting like used on laundry bags. Simple draw-string style. I take them with me when shopping at the grocery store instead of using their plastic bags. Store check out clerks like them as they are see-through to get the sticker codes. I always have several people at the store ask me where I got them! Ha ha. I make them in 3 sizes, the largest for ears of fresh corn, apples, oranges, etc.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I have made several bags along this theme. Rather than muslin, I used a strong netting like used on laundry bags. Simple draw-string style. I take them with me when shopping at the grocery store instead of using their plastic bags. Store check out clerks like them as they are see-through to get the sticker codes. I always have several people at the store ask me where I got them! Ha ha. I make them in 3 sizes, the largest for ears of fresh corn, apples, oranges, etc.
Jeanne, where do you buy that netting?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:08 PM

With today's fridges having air blowing wouldn't produce dry out being in a porous cloth bag?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM

I bought that netting at Joanne's Fabrics. It was in their "utility" cloth section, on a bolt sold by the yard. White only. I tried a lighter weight netting but it tore easily. The laundry bag netting is very durable but still lightweight. I have been using the same bags for over 3 years now!
Selm, I don't use these bags to store produce in the fridge as it would dry out. I have several plastic bin veggie keepers with lids that I use in the fridge---these are washable and reusable. I just avoid all plastic bags due to the environmental issues.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:52 PM

Since you are all talking about storing vegetables I thought I would share a DH-ism.
DH was helping me put groceries away about a week ago, and without me realizing he had done so, put the celery on the upper most shelf of the refrigerator. I have severe back problems and cannot bend low enough to see what is on that shelf so we call that "his shelf", and yesterday I opened the door to find several stalks had wilted through the rack and were now a sickly yellow and looked like they were reaching for the milk. I had to unload the refrigerator to get them out. I explained the problem and now he won't make that mistake again. DH is lots of help around the house, but I have to keep an eye on his 'helpfulness'. Lol!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I too like this idea but could not find anything about the bags on the web. Do you have a link to see what these are all about or do you need to be a member of some website to see them?
if you go to YouTube-quilt in a day -click on February 2017 offering- forgot title, Eleanor does a demo of tulip block, then does icebox bags........