Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone made a Ricky Timms Kool Kaleidascope??  Help! >

has anyone made a Ricky Timms Kool Kaleidascope?? Help!

has anyone made a Ricky Timms Kool Kaleidascope?? Help!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM

Default has anyone made a Ricky Timms Kool Kaleidascope?? Help!

so I'm working on a Kool Kaleidascope quilt--actually will have one large (48") kaleidscope with parts of two 36" ones and one 20" one--so LOTS of strip sets. Anyway, working on the 48" one and realized when I was putting together the first wedge, that I've got 3 Y-seam joints--dang it! So I'm VERY carefully working on these. But I really want to avoid that on the others and while I have the book, the "pattern" is really directions that explain it but don't give you the actual templates. So would love to hear from anyone that has made one. I'm making it for a contest and have to use specific colors and plan to use black as the background. If I was making for just me I would probably limit the colors in each strip set more, but it is what it is.

(have to confess that this is my 2nd go on the strip sets--my original fabrics, while the right colors were wayyyy to busy, so ordered a bunch of batiks from Fabric Fanatics on sale and redid, so my frustration level with this quilt is already a little high!)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Not sure what you are asking, but the only way to avoid a Y seam is to add an additional seam, usually in the center piece of the 3.
Here's an example. In the lemoyne star block, you normally have y seams for the background patches (left half of star). if you add an additional seam (right side of star) you can just seam it normally.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568348[/ATTACH]
If you have already cut the fabrics, you won't have enough to do this because you have to cut those pieces larger to allow for an additional seam. If you haven't cut them, then you could do this. I would for sure do a practice block with scrap fabric first.
(sorry for additional star image... can't get rid of it).
Attached Thumbnails lemoyne.png   lemoyne.png  

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-15-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

There aren't any templates for the Kool Kaleidoscope, at least not in the version I purchased. I got a video and a big instruction sheet. I made two quilts, no Y seams, but it's been a while and I don't remember the entire process.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Could you post a picture of your pattern pieces? Hard to visualize for me based on the description.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 AM

I"m guessing that you are working the small sections in the wrong order....remember to mark your sections of the individual wedge from the center, then number and stitch them from the outside of the wedge. If you stitch in the same order you cut the wedge sections, you will end up with Y seams every time.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:37 AM

I've been looking at picutures, and if sewn in the right order, you won't end up with any y seams.

what I noticed, you may sew sections of wedges, where you sew two pieces that form one side of the wedge, and then to a third to make the full wedge- and then you sew that to other sections above and below and finally end up with the full wedge, so you'll have a set of wedges that make the full circle.

but you do not sew any of the wedges together until you have them fully complete for length.

This is the best example I have - this also has no Y seams in it.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Y seams are not the boogie man.... Just stop your sewing 1/4" from the end on each seam and they go together nicely. Put a pin where that 1/4" point is, if you can't just 'eyeball' it.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 PM

OMG I made that!!!! Mine was all done via paper piecing and there were no Y seams!

It was a lot of work LOL ... and the forum was awesome in helping me find where I had sewn a couple of pieces in the wrong place!

Here's the link for the thread where I posted mine! http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t279415.html

Good luck!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568440[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1386.jpg  

Last edited by MarionsQuilts; 02-16-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 PM

ok--finished the first, big kaleidascope and despite the Y seams, which I certainly know how to do but don't like!, I think it turned out fine. It will be in a black quilt with some smaller sized kaleidascopes --assymetrical. So here's some pictures, the whole one, then the pink W (use your imagination here) is where the Y seam is, and then I blocked off the wedge so you could see it (and quarter where the Y seam is). [ATTACH=CONFIG]568452[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568453[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568454[/ATTACH]

This "pattern" is really a method where you make up the templates--so the Y seam was my mistake-believe me, the 36" and 20" ones (this is 48") don't have any!
Attached Thumbnails p1040667.jpg   p1040668.jpg   p1040669.jpg  

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 02-16-2017 at 06:30 PM.