Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for charity to donate wife's quilting stash >

looking for charity to donate wife's quilting stash

looking for charity to donate wife's quilting stash

Old 03-21-2017, 06:54 AM

Default looking for charity to donate wife's quilting stash

hi, long time caregiver for my wife who was an avid quilter for many years. She has quite a stash of fabric and tools. My wife no longer has the focus or ability to do any quilting. And we may have to move to asst living. I thought maybe someone knew of a charity or church group that could use the materials, preferably in New England to keep shipping down. Any ideas would be helpful. We both were volunteers for ABC Quilts, making neo-natal unit quilts for many years but that organization folded its tent years ago.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 AM

Maybe check with the local quilting guild? If you don't know of one, ask at the quilt shops your wife frequented. They should have names of contact persons. You shouldn't have to ship a donation! Surely there are volunteers who would come pick your generous offer up.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

So sorry for your situation. Google to see if there is a quilt guild in your area. Most guilds do charity work. If you cannot find one, contact your nearest senior center... they often know of places where her stash could be put to good use. You might also contact the hospital, VA center, or cancer center. They might put you in touch with organizations who donate quilts to them.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-21-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 AM

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I wanted to offer my condolences to you and your wife. I am sure there are many organizations who would be grateful for any donations. Quilts of Valor and Linus Club come to mind. I am sure they both have branches in New England. Your donation is very generous and I think your wife would appreciate it, I know I would. Good luck with your move if it comes to pass.
Sue
Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 AM

I'm sorry you hear of your wife's declining health. You are so sweet to take care of her for all these years, some people just don't do that. I have no other ideas other than what gardengnome suggested.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM

Also, check with church groups. Some of them have quilting groups as well.

Prayers for you and your wife's general well being during this transition. It sounds like you and your wife have been fortunate to have one of those real loves we all dream of! God bless you both.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM

http://www.quiltsforkids.org/find-a-chapter.htm

If you were close to me I would say donate to my chapter of Quilts For Kids. We make quilts and take to Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis.

There may be chapter close to you. You can check the homepage
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM

I am so sorry you are going through this. My thoughts are with you. And how kind of you to take the time to find a place that will cherish the donated gift.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 AM

So very kind of you to think of others as you go through these tough times.
If you would care to say what area of New England you live in, or send me a private message by clicking on my name, I will do some research on the internet and try to come up with some guilds and charities near you that you can approach.

Watson
Old 03-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Community Senior centers often accept donations- have a sewing/ quilting group. Check for a local guild, our Hospice House has a quilting group who makes quilts for each person/ family who enters the hospice house. Local quilt shops might be able to steer you to other places.
Project Linus, quilts of Valor and Downey quilts for kids might have chapters in your area too.