Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Only using grids for machine quilting? >

Only using grids for machine quilting?

Only using grids for machine quilting?

Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Only using grids for machine quilting?

Does anyone use either diagonal or grid lines only when machine quilting their quilt on a home sewing machine? I just bought an even feed foot and I'm thinking of just using this type of patterns for my quilts - at least for starters.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Oh yes... I call it 'straight line quilting'. Simple and effective.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 PM

I only do straight line quilting. I just prefer it. I use that blue painters' tape and put it where I want to sew. Then I just stitch next to it. Works very well for me. Or sometimes I just stitch in the ditch....even easier. Or sometimes I just stitch about 1/4 inch from the ditch. I have made over 100 quilts, and I have done straight line quilting with all of them.

Dina
Old 04-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Yes, I do it all the time and they are turning out very well. I do use Warm and Natural batting which is 10 inch that you can quilt it up to that measurement. I usually use 2 1/2" up to 6 inches on the blocks...diagonal or on the sides and outline. Love my quilts making them complete at home.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:48 PM

I do it alot and I like how they turn out. Sometimes I set the lines on angle and the quilting looks like diamonds
Old 04-09-2017, 02:06 PM

You can do more than straight lines with a walking foot. Here's a link.

http://www.isewfree.com/free-quilt-p...quilt-designs/

And another

http://www.dsquilts.com/quilts.asp?P...20&ImageID=987

And another

http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...-quilting.html

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 04-09-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

Get this book: One Line at a Time by Charlotte Warr Andersen. She shows you how to do perfect designs to get with a walking foot. I prefer crosshatch (grid) quilting to the elaborate fancy quilting. I use the 4ft and 6 ft 2 1/2 wide straight edge (bought at Lowe's) to mark my lines. I use Crayola Ultra Clean fine line markers. I use the blue ones the most. I go criss cross, straight, diagonal, and big zig zag. I use spray basting and every inch of the quilt top and backing is stuck down. Not one inch to move out of place. I don't have tucks or wrinkles. I start in the center or at the corner and stitch on the line. I do all my quilts at home now using this method. No thread tails!
Old 04-09-2017, 04:21 PM

I received a walking foot as a holiday gift and have been playing with it for recent quilts. I have a guide on mine, so I can make parallel lines up to 3" apart and only need to mark the first line, which is a nice feature. I've done parallel lines of various width spacings, lines radiating out from a central star, orange peel with gentle curves, lines at 60 degree angles and now I'm working on a "plaid" by making a crosshatch with 3 colors of thread/widths of spacing.

I plan to do some free motion in the future, but for now I'm happy to play with the possibilities of the walking foot.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

​Lot of the modern quilts are quilted with straight lines. I frequently straight stitch my sashing between blocks before Free Motion Quilting the blocks. The only problem you might have is be careful to keep the quilt sandwich taut as lines cross over at right angles as you can get a pucker there.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:21 AM

A chevron quilting pattern looks great, especially on Warm Wishes and block style patterns. I use it often on kids' quilts.