Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Kona black solid fabric >

Question about Kona black solid fabric

Question about Kona black solid fabric

Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 AM

Default Question about Kona black solid fabric

I want to make a quilt with black sashing & want to find a black that does not run/fade. What is your favorite black fabric? Seems like I've heard good things about the Kona fabrics but have never used them. I've also heard that Kona fabric is a bit heavy compared to other fabrics. So, I suppose my question not only deals with bleeding but also the fabric itself. I am planning on pre-washing it before I use it. However, I had some red fabric once (not a solid & not Kona) that I pre-washed a zillion times & it continued to bleed. I haven't used it for anything yet. I need to purchase my fabric from Jo-Ann's as I have gift cards from there that I can use. Thanks!

Last edited by osewme; 06-03-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:52 AM

I never had a bleeding problem with Kona black but all dark cotton fabric will show fading sooner then prints.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Banned

It isn't that it fades faster, just that its more noticeable because its dark.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:21 AM

I always use Kona but I always wash first and have never had a problem.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I have used Kona black. It does have a heavier hand that I don't like, but it still works just fine in a quilt. One thing I noticed is that it is very "stringy". That is, when I cut it into 2.5" strips, the strips developed a lot of threads fraying along each side.

I much prefer Michael Miller's black, which is a very deep black and has a hand similar to other quilting fabrics. However, it can shrink a lot, so it is a good idea to prewash it and dry it before using (and purchase extra length to make up for the shrinkage).
Old 06-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have used Kona black. It does have a heavier hand that I don't like, but it still works just fine in a quilt. One thing I noticed is that it is very "stringy". That is, when I cut it into 2.5" strips, the strips developed a lot of threads fraying along each side.

I much prefer Michael Miller's black, which is a very deep black and has a hand similar to other quilting fabrics. However, it can shrink a lot, so it is a good idea to prewash it and dry it before using (and purchase extra length to make up for the shrinkage).
Yep, my experience had the Kona as more ravelly. I prefer a black tone on tone anyway.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

The blacks I get from Walmart and Hobby Lobby do not fade and much cheaper.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:38 AM

I agree with Alicat- it does have a fray issue. If purchased in JoAnns you might check to see if they have it in the 108" bolt- KONA not other brand. Will save you more $$ and you can use your coupons. Of course the drawback of buying it this way is you must be careful when you cut it that you don't get a bow in your strip
Old 06-04-2017, 04:56 AM

I have started using a black batik for my quilts. I love it, and will not go back to regular cotton fabrics.
I always wash it first and have never had problems with it bleeding.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 AM

Thanks for all the input. I will see what Walmart has to offer in blacks. I've never really looked at their blacks...only prints. I'll also check out the tone on tone blacks. I never thought about that before. My main issue is with bleeding so I will look around & see what is available. Thanks again....this board is so much help when I have questions!