Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Periwinkle Large and small >

Periwinkle Large and small

Periwinkle Large and small

Old 08-27-2017, 08:19 AM

Default Periwinkle Large and small

This question is from videos by MSQC of both large and small periwinkle pattern using jenny's large and small templates and papers. This originated at few yrs ago and I remember there was a problem with the points of the large version. I know because I was one who ordered,made a sample and realized the oops! But anyway, watched both again today and my question is-on the small template version when she puts the four pieces together to make the star, there is 1/4" seam allowance on those point ends, but when she does the "original" large one, those points go right to the end--- no 1/4" allowance...that's why she had to make the "correction" video. Why, if the process is the same, but different size, is there that descrepency? I have that large wacky wedge template, but not the small,so I can't do an experiment to see why one gives 1/4" and one does not.....but maybe I should order it and see.....or does someone here have the answer?
Old 08-28-2017, 05:12 AM

Why not write to MSQC and ask them?. They are the ones that put it out and are very eagar to help.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:47 AM

MSQC is great about answering questions both in email or phone mode. They are glad to help.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 AM

I just emailed msqc, will see what the response will be. I also noticed that the Sizzix dies for these two patterns seems to have the same problem...small one, enough to keep points, large one cuts them off.....
Old 08-28-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I just emailed msqc, will see what the response will be. I also noticed that the Sizzix dies for these two patterns seems to have the same problem...small one, enough to keep points, large one cuts them off.....
I was wrong, the die allows for that 1/4" seam allowance- keeping nice sharp points. I found a video on YouTube and saw it. So........I went to Sizzix site to order $39.99, which I was willing today,until $10 added for s&h.....so I called company and asked if there was any retailer within say 30 miles of me or on line seller with a lesser s&h. Local retailer does not carry that die, nor does her "supplier" and on line suppliers listed die for $45.00, plus s&h....so I guess I going to wait for a sale......
actually, I went to MSQC and price was $35.95-no S&H charge,so I placed the order! Amazing how one sometimes had to hop scotch around for saving a few bucks!

Last edited by Geri B; 08-28-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:26 AM

Just an FYI........ The die arrived in two days..speedy! I did watch Sizzix video again,then made a sample and yes there's the 1/4" seam allowance at end of the points, so no loss when joining blocks. Just to decide on background, don't think I want just white, maybe a faint,subtle print.....enough of stash to make the periwinkesq....a winter project.