Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilts with doilies >

Quilts with doilies

Quilts with doilies

Old 09-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Default Quilts with doilies

Someone asked me to post photos of what I`m doing using doilies. I`m not very good at resizing and posting so hope I got a few in. So far I`ve made 4 and am working on my 5th. One is in red and was quilted by Charisma for me. I made a peach one for her. I added doilies to my embroidered ladies . That one is not quilted yet. I`m also working on a new one which is all in blue(well except for the doilies) . If the photos haven t all gone through I will try and post more on this thread. thank you for looking!!
Attached Thumbnails doilie-7.jpg   doilie-quiltresized6.jpg   resizeddoiliepeach.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-26-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:16 PM

Default doilies in quilts

A few more photos
Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
Someone asked me to post photos of what I`m doing using doilies. I`m not very good at resizing and posting so hope I got a few in. So far I`ve made 4 and am working on my 5th. One is in red and was quilted by Charisma for me. I made a peach one for her. She has quilted that one and you can view photos of it as well as the red one on her site. I added doilies to my embroidered ladies . That one is not quilted yet. I`m also working on a new one which is all in blue(well except for the doilies) . If the photos haven t all gone through I will try and post more on this thread. thank you for looking!!
Attached Thumbnails resized.jpg   resized-doilie.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Oh I love how you did that. lovely. I still love doilies. My Mother had tons of them. hated them for awhile but then i lept seeing them in antique stores and couldn't resist them.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:20 PM

I think I`m addicted. ha ha ha I collect every doilie I can find..And I`m not lucky enough to have inherited some.
Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Oh I love how you did that. lovely. I still love doilies. My Mother had tons of them. hated them for awhile but then i lept seeing them in antique stores and couldn't resist them.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

they are beautiful
Old 09-26-2017, 12:24 PM

Default ladies and doilies

Here is a view of the full ladies and doilies quilt top...It is not yet quilted
Attached Thumbnails resized-doilieladies.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Wow, you have shown me a whole new way too look at crocheted doilies! You really show them off beautifully in your quilts and you have found some really unique and beautiful ones. So how do you adhere them to the quilt? Do you just top stitch around the edge or do you stitch along the insides in strategic places as well? I suspect every application is different, kind of a stitch as needed. Did you also hand embroider all your bonnet ladies too? Beautiful and so very different. Well at least to me. I have seen many bloggers quilting with antique linens so maybe there are a bunch out there that do this as well?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

BEAUTIFUL WORK!! you did an amazing job on these quilts. what a wonderful idea. Love all the handwork in them
Old 09-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Thank you so much !!! I do top stitch around the edges and a few strategic places as you said but I do glue them down a bit using a glue stick first. The embroidered ladies were done by my mom.....we have been working together to make quilts. She does the handwork and I set them in a quilt after. I do also use vintage embroidery to make other quilts as I`ve seen online. There are so many thrown out embroidered items out there. Hard to believe so many people discard such amazing work. I collect everything I can find and repurpose them in quilts.
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Wow, you have shown me a whole new way too look at crocheted doilies! You really show them off beautifully in your quilts and you have found some really unique and beautiful ones. So how do you adhere them to the quilt? Do you just top stitch around the edge or do you stitch along the insides in strategic places as well? I suspect every application is different, kind of a stitch as needed. Did you also hand embroider all your bonnet ladies too? Beautiful and so very different. Well at least to me. I have seen many bloggers quilting with antique linens so maybe there are a bunch out there that do this as well?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 PM

Default quilt made with vintage embroidery items

Here a photo of one of the quilts I made with vintage embroidered items....I use mostly damaged items...I repurpose them so thy are not just discarded...
Originally Posted by huntannette View Post
Thank you so much !!! I do top stitch around the edges and a few strategic places as you said but I do glue them down a bit using a glue stick first. The embroidered ladies were done by my mom.....we have been working together to make quilts. She does the handwork and I set them in a quilt after. I do also use vintage embroidery to make other quilts as I`ve seen online. There are so many thrown out embroidered items out there. Hard to believe so many people discard such amazing work. I collect everything I can find and repurpose them in quilts.
Attached Thumbnails resized.jpg