Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Waterproof pad for under aquarium. PUL??? >

Waterproof pad for under aquarium. PUL???

Waterproof pad for under aquarium. PUL???

Old 09-26-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Waterproof pad for under aquarium. PUL???

I got a Beta fish with a 2.5 gal aquarium for my sewing room. I have enjoyed talking to him the last few weeks, however, his tank is on the corner of my sewing desk and every time I take the top off to feed him, my desk gets wet. So I was thinking of making a table topper with PUL on the back to go under his tank. I've never worked with PUL. I know every stitch leaves a hole that moisture could go through. My thought is to quilt the top to the batting, then attach the PUL to the back when I'm putting the binding on. Any suggestions for anyone who has done something like this? Any tips for working with the PUL?I saw a Youtube video where she used double sided Scotch tape to hold her layers together instead of pins.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Dont know what PUL is...............your idea sounds like it would work fine though, no pin holes. I'm sure double sided tape or maybe a glue would work also.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Why don't you just make a mug-rug big enough to hold the tank and top. The cotton will absorb what little water there is and it will dry on its own. Admittedly I don't know what PUL is either, but it sounds like something you have to wipe down. If you have to wipe it down, you could just wipe the table and not bother.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:19 PM

yes, the PUL is good for waterproofing--it's what is used for baby's diaper covers, changing pads, etc.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Why do you need to sew them together? I just have a piece of loose plastic under the topper my fountain sits on. For the dog's water dish, I backed a pretty kitchen towel with a plastic tablecloth. Birthed it and topstitched near the edge and it works fine.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:12 PM

I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but I think I would just go to a dollar store or local store & buy a plastic placemat. About the right size, and will keep your table dry. The plastic lined/covered material is nice, but also comes in wide widths.
Good luck whichever way you decide
Susan
Old 09-26-2017, 05:49 PM

I have used PUL to make a dirty clothes bag for travel. It is easy to work with and has a nice drape. My only issue is that most of the designs were for kids. I did find a black and white zigzag. You might think about iron on vinyl. It is easy to use and you could use any fabric you had. You iron it to the right side of your fabric using the paper you peel off as a pressing cloth. I found it with the fusibles. Maybe JoAnns...maybe WalMart.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I have used PUL to make a dirty clothes bag for travel. It is easy to work with and has a nice drape. My only issue is that most of the designs were for kids. I did find a black and white zigzag. You might think about iron on vinyl. It is easy to use and you could use any fabric you had. You iron it to the right side of your fabric using the paper you peel off as a pressing cloth. I found it with the fusibles. Maybe JoAnns...maybe WalMart.
Great idea , thanks. I wasn't excited over any of the PUL prints I saw either.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:02 AM

Be aware, if you do not have something waterproof, water gets absorbed into toweling, fabric, batting, etc, but does NOT dry out! I ruined a lovely dresser when fish-sitting for a friend. Had a big thick terry towel, absorbed all the water, but it left an awful, rectangular outline where it sat and sponged up that moisture. Lifted the veneer and ruined the piece of furniture! PUL, even all by itself, face down would work I think. Don't care about the print. Or even vinyl tablecloth fabric?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
I got a Beta fish with a 2.5 gal aquarium for my sewing room. Any suggestions for anyone who has done something like this? Any tips for working with the PUL?
I don't know what PLU is. You do not say what size the footprint of a 2.5 aquarium is. My first thought would be to use a large cafeteria tray under it. I have picked up several of the trays in thrift stores, some larger that others.