Veneer top, what to do?

Old 11-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Veneer top, what to do?

Here is my latest addition to the menagerie. A treadle cabinet, no machine, but in need of some TLC. Would you put a whole new piece on it, replace the veneer? What? I have wood workers in the area. Repairing it with a piece of formica is probably out?

I just need it around to test treadles that I repair.

Treadle mechanism looks real good.

Marcia[ATTACH=CONFIG]583490[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]583491[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171106_110750_resized.jpg   20171106_110800_resized.jpg  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

No to the formica- just my opinion.
Yes to a new veneer maybe. Do you know what that would cost? I have no idea.
It looks like a great machine!!!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 AM

If it is not a special cabinet, I would strip the loose veneer off, sand the wood to remove glue remnants and then apply a good wax polish. From the photograph, it seems as if the damaged veneer is under the fold down top lid, so not on view at all times. The wood underneath the veneer may be beautiful too.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
If it is not a special cabinet, I would strip the loose veneer off, sand the wood to remove glue remnants and then apply a good wax polish. From the photograph, it seems as if the damaged veneer is under the fold down top lid, so not on view at all times. The wood underneath the veneer may be beautiful too.
I agree with Charley. Since the bad veneer is underneath and you're just going to be using it to test treadles, I'd just take the remaining veneer off, sand it down, put some stain on if you don't like the lighter wood and call it done.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-06-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Got my your and you're confused
Old 11-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Those pressed tin legs make it a lot easier to move around.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
No to the formica- just my opinion.
Yes to a new veneer maybe. Do you know what that would cost? I have no idea.
It looks like a great machine!!!
My two cents would be new veneer, maybe. I've heard that some have just patched bad spots and glue down loose veneer. I know nothing about wood work. I have a cabinet that someone stripped the veneer off, sanded and put some sort of finish on. The wood does not look good and when a machine is in place there is a ledge from the wood up to the machine. Maybe for testing purposes wouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't want to sew on it that way for very long.

We talked a little at our Saturday get together about the fact that the reason they used veneer was to cover up cheap, ugly wood. Also, I have heard that modern veneer is a different thickness than the veneer used on vintage cabinets.

It really is a shame as that looks like a neat cabinet.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:01 PM

I'm a novice at wood repair. However, my ex owned a woodworking business, so I've seen a lot, just not done it personally. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure what the white stuff is, so I'm going to ignore that part until I have more information.

The other parts missing the veneer are repairable. According to Glenn, it takes two layers of today's veneer to be as thick as vintage veneer. There are several youtube videos on how to do it. You can buy enough veneer to repair the vacant spots and probably the white part from Rockler for $10.00 to $15.00. Besides that, you need glue, something heavy or clamps to hold the repair in place while it dries, an exacto knife and blue tape. Then you 'll have to refinish it. It will still look better than what is under it.

bkay
Old 11-07-2017, 04:47 AM

That white stuff is a sheet of plastic and is loose on the right side. The wood that is underneath looks terrible, looks and feels cheap.

I went to my cabinet maker who told me to go to a different one as he no longer makes that style of treadle cabinet. Sure don't want to get too much $$$ in it.

There is another Amish man in the area who does restorations. I've have him do a few things. They turned out wonderful and there was a deep chasm in my wallet. This guy is as expensive as the guy on the show American Restorations.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Marcia
Since you are using it to test treadles, (assume you mean heads you work on) do you know what the company for which the base is made? I have never seen the emblem shown. Measure the distance, center to center, of the hinge pins and the diameter of the pins. Try a few heads. I would not be surprised if it is a copy of a Singer straight leg cabinet, but that does not mean it would fit all types of heads.

As to your question, if it turns out to work as a test treadle, I would go down to bare wood and just refinish. As mentioned, it does not show.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:38 PM

You can buy veneer at Lowes and glue it on.