Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Do you have the PM quilting rulers? >

Do you have the PM quilting rulers?

Do you have the PM quilting rulers?

Old 04-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Default Do you have the PM quilting rulers?

Here is a link to their website (which is not very good). http://www.pmquilting.com/SearchResu...x=0&Search.y=0

And here are links to Youtube videos on using these rulers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22cZDrCnk20&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14rqzEzcg7U&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ9RzQzWH0I

The first video demo is of their 6" wide ruler; they now also have a 10" wide ruler.

Ever since someone posted a question about these after seeing them at a quilt show, I have been tempted to buy them. For my next quilt, I am thinking of 5" squares and 1" sashing with cornerstones. Seems to me this would make the cutting easier. However, the bundles are quite expensive, so I am cautious about making a purchase error.

Would like to hear about others' experiences with these rulers. I am especially wondering if the Martelli cutters are compatible with them. (In the past I found the Martelli 45mm did not work well in a June Tailor shapecut mat.) In the future I will probably be using the Martelli cutters for almost all of my cutting. The PM rulers must stand higher than the usual cutting ruler in order to accommodate so many layers of fabric, so the cutter must be able to clear the edge.

Also wondering if there is any reason to get both the 6" and 10" AQRS rulers. Any issues with storage? I already have a varied collection of rulers acquired over the years, so adding a whole bunch of new rulers may not be smart for me. Purchasing individually seems a lot more expensive, though, especially since in the future I may want to make sashing strips and cornerstones a different size.

All input welcome!
Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM

Prism,

I don't have those and have not used them either so no information for you. However, I watched the first video. Did you see the wobble at about 53 seconds into the video?

Are you having issues with cutting? I can't do power cutting any longer so I have the ac-cu-quilt system and the dies for cutting strips. They were bought on sale. I just bought the 5 inch one to make my own charm packs fast.

You might consider investing in one of these systems. Just another point of view to consider.

I hope you get more information on the rulers. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:46 PM

I have considered the PM rulers, but wound up doing what Rhonda did -- I bought the electric Accuquilt and have been buying dies as they go on sale. Between hand and arm problems I was having a really hard time doing a lot of cutting accurately.

When I have to use the rotary cutter for strips I mark the line with glow tape ( https://www.amazon.com/Omnigrid-2102...ow+tape+sewing ) if I am going to use my 6x24 ruler, but I also use the shape cut with great success.

Hope you get some good feedback.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:57 PM

I stuck with the HandiQuilter rulers for my LA. That way I could buy one at a time and my LQS has coupons!
Old 04-05-2018, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
.... Did you see the wobble at about 53 seconds into the video? ...
that's because he had the ruler wrong side up when he was trimming the fabric stack to get his first straight line.
i did notice that the ruler slipped just a wee little bit when he cut the first strip, but many brands will do that if you aren't super careful.

it's an interesting design and the prices are within the same range as most brands.

i don't see why it wouldn't work with a martelli cutter.

i noticed he was left-handed, so this is the first ruler i've seen that appears to be either deliberately or accidentally designed for lefties.

if you need to cut several layers it looks like a less expensive, and more accurate, alternative to the big clunky strip cutting tools out there. definitely less expensive than a cutting machine.

i'm not sure it would be useful if you were cutting just one or a very few layers of fabric, though. that guide bar might become more of a nuisance than an aide. would the measurements be thrown off because the ruler doesn't lay flat? possible, i think.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:33 AM

You mentioned the rulers stand up higher and more layers of fabric can be cut.

A couple more thoughts for you to consider. To buildup any ruler you can add layers of medical tape to desired height. There might be difficulties cutting multiple layers of fabric depending on rotary cutter used and the overall strength of the person cutting.

Were you allowed to try the rulers at the demo booth to see for yourself how they worked? Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I have not seen these rulers in action and it looks like they will not be at any quilting show near me this year. I already have an Accuquilt Go! (manual crank), but really don't like doing strips on it.

Patrice, I also started wondering about how it would work on just a few layers and how much force is required on the cutter if there are a lot of layers of fabric. I'm thinking realistically 4 layers at a time is all I can handle and, for that, my June Tailor and Stripology mats are pretty good. I am intrigued by the smaller rulers that seem to allow such quick and accurate cutting of cornerstones, etc.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 PM

I saw these rulers in action at a quilt show in SLC---they were pretty cool. If I would have driven instead of flown, I would have purchased as they wouldn't fit into my carry on and I was afraid what might happen to them if I just carried them onto the plane. I was thinking I would be interested in the 10" and the 2 1/2", but the more I think about it, I can see me using the 2 1/2" 3 1/2" 4 1/2" as well as the 10". If you look at the website,(which I agree is not very good), you will find the shows he will be at. I hope to purchase these sometime in the near future.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 PM

I wish those were available when I started quilting and buying rulers...but like the others I had a crank Go and it's hard on the wrists/shoulders...After yrs of cranking I finally treated myself to the electric go and selling the old crank...
Old 03-20-2020, 07:28 PM

Thumbs up PM Rulers

I have the complete set of PM rulers and I love them. They had a fabric store in Casa Grande, AZ. There is a pattern for the bag to carry them.www.southwestdenim.com