Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Little-Waste Bias Binding >

Little-Waste Bias Binding

Little-Waste Bias Binding

Old 04-29-2018, 04:01 AM

Default Little-Waste Bias Binding

I was looking for a good method of making bias binding and ran across this tutorial:

http://jonag.typepad.com/stop_starin...o-5-yards.html

It looks like there are fewer steps and less waste than other methods I've seen.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I have used this method.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 AM

That is the method I also use for bias binding. McCall's used to have a very nice printable tutorial, but since the changes there, it's no longer available. (And I rarely go to their new/combined website anymore either).
I'll be sure to bookmark your link so I can share with someone I'm trying to tell how to do this.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-30-2018, 02:51 AM

Try this link [h=1]Kimberbell Designs - How to Make Bias Binding from a Fat Quarter of Fabric, it is a YouTube video.[/h]it is the easiest way to cut bias binding I have ever tried. Super simple.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:13 AM

Same basic bias that I use but it says to cut it 1 3/4" wide...not usable on quilts. but O.k. for cording.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by luvrazz View Post
Try this link Kimberbell Designs - How to Make Bias Binding from a Fat Quarter of Fabric, it is a YouTube video.

it is the easiest way to cut bias binding I have ever tried. Super simple.
Here is the link for the YouTube video that you mentioned: https://www.ask.com/youtube?q=Kimber...&v=J3Q3rXvfSh0

The Kimberbell Designs method requires the strips to be sewn together after cutting. The link I posted have them already sewn together when the strips are cut apart. Both have little waste.

Last night I tried the method that I posted. It worked well. I imagine the Kimberbell Designs would work well too. It's great to have choices to get where you want to go.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Same basic bias that I use but it says to cut it 1 3/4" wide...not usable on quilts. but O.k. for cording.
I tried it last night on a 24" square and cut them 2.5" apart to get the amount I needed for my quilt. I agree that 1.75" would be too narrow for any quilt I would make.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I was looking for a good method of making bias binding and ran across this tutorial:

http://jonag.typepad.com/stop_starin...o-5-yards.html

It looks like there are fewer steps and less waste than other methods I've seen.
I usually use this technique and when you make the last seam off-setting the sides - it looks wrong, but it's right. I've tried cutting the strips with scissors and it works. However, I prefer to insert a small cutting mat inside the tube and cut with rotary and ruler.

If you need more than 5 yards of binding, you can always start with a larger square. One of the quilter's reference books (the turquoise and white one in the USA, I think) includes a chart telling you which size to start with for specific amounts of yardage.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
If you need more than 5 yards of binding, you can always start with a larger square. One of the quilter's reference books (the turquoise and white one in the USA, I think) includes a chart telling you which size to start with for specific amounts of yardage.
Here is a chart: http://www.quiltdesignnw.com/bias-qu...calculator.htm
Old 04-30-2018, 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=ktbb;8049998]I usually use this technique and when you make the last seam off-setting the sides - it looks wrong, but it's right. I've tried cutting the strips with scissors and it works. However, I prefer to insert a small cutting mat inside the tube and cut with rotary and ruler.

I put the cutting mat on the ironing board, slide the fabric tube over the end and cut. That way I do not make any 'bad' cut while using the rotary cutter.