Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ideas for old wedding dress/daughter's wedding >

Ideas for old wedding dress/daughter's wedding

Ideas for old wedding dress/daughter's wedding

Old 05-09-2018, 03:24 PM

Default Ideas for old wedding dress/daughter's wedding

Our only daughter is getting married on June 30th. She says I can make whatever I want with my old 1986 wedding dress "within reason" for details in her wedding and reception.

SHe is not sentimental and not one for clutter, so I'm not anticipating that she will hang onto what I make.

I admit I have a hard time thinking about making the first cut into my beautiful gown It's got a long cathedral train (all satin with embroidery and a lace hem), lots of seed pearls on the bodice, long lace sleeves.

Got some ideas? I've thought ring pillow and bouquet wrap.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:22 PM

I am a bridal seamstress in a large bridal shop. She may want to wear your dress for her wedding. First you can take off the sleeves to give it a more modern look. You can use the lace from the sleeves to add a nice edge to the armhole. You may want to make the armhole narrower...more like a tank top. Since it is an 80's dress, if there is a stand up color...remove that too and add lace around the neckline. There are lots of ideas to bring an old dress into the current fashion trends now.

You can also make a Christening gown from it for the first grandchild. I have also seen beautiful Christmas tree toppers made from wedding dresses. Lots of ideas around....just keep asking. Please post pictures and that may help with the ideas.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

If you don't want to cut it up, don't.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:02 PM

She definitely does Not want to wear my dress. It wouldn't fit anyway (she's a size 16 or maybe 14). She wouldn't be upset if I didn't do anything with it for her wedding, but is okay if I do a few things.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-10-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 05-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

At the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show, many years ago, there was a wonderful display of quilts made from wedding gowns. (These quilts were on the walls of the clock store, not outdoors.) It seems that your wedding dress means more to you than to your daughter, so perhaps you could make a quilt from it and use leftovers for something smaller for your daughter. You can display and enjoy the quilt, your daughter will have something from it for the wedding, and you may find that she will become more sentimental as she gets older.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

The real questions ... do you want to do something with it?
Is she saying go ahead, just to appease her Mama?
(especially wonder this, when she is not really contributing with ideas)

What would you like to make? have to keep later? etc.

Agree ring bearer pillow is a good idea.
Instead of the pillow, some have made teddy bear a bride and groom,
for the flower girl and ring bearer to carry up the aisle.

You could do a runner/table topper with the satin and lace.
Would be nice with the guest book (if they are having one) or with other items that may be on display.

Another alternative .... do nothing with it, and have the dress, as is, on display with a photo of you and your husband on your wedding day. Perhaps the groom's parents would like to do the same?

Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM

Look into donating any large pieces that are left over to Angel Gowns. My daughter donated her's. They use them to make burial gowns for stillborn babies. http://www.angelgowns.chauglie.com
Old 05-10-2018, 03:23 AM

I do crazy quilting, both quilts and smaller things like heart ornaments. I'm always on the lookout for old bridal gowns (or any fancy fabric!). I was thinking that the heart ornaments would make lovely little gifts for bridesmaids.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:20 AM

Sounds like you are more interested in using your dress than she is so I would be very careful about cutting into that. If you really want to use your dress though, perhaps do something for yourself to use at the wedding, such as an evening wrap? Be careful that you don't upstage the bride though! Or perhaps use in table runners for the reception that you can take to your own home to enjoy. In years to come, she might find those have value more than right now.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:33 AM

I'm with bearisgray...unless this is something You want to do, then don't. However, I made lavender sachets out of an old wedding dress for wedding favors....also made bride and groom '1st Christmas together' stockings. Hers out of dress, his out of an upcycled men's suit...complete with tiny boutonniere.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-10-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps