Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heart Beats >

Heart Beats

Heart Beats

Old 08-01-2018, 12:20 AM

Default Heart Beats

When I lead the 4-H Quilting project, I had collected fabric and scraps from the ladies I quilt with for several years. Then I used a lot of the strips for a fabric craft in another project, not expecting to be able to do the quilting project so soon after. There suddenly was a shortage of 2 1/2" strips~ So I went through my stash cutting strips - about 4 from each fabric. It filled a grocery tote and when spread out on tables it covered 3 6 ft tables. I also donated yardage of my "what was I thinking" pieces. All in all, I freed up one whole section of my fabric shelves.
"What was I thinking" or not... my heart gave a pang nearly every time one of the members cut into the fabrics or used up all the strips of one fabric...
I feel the same way whenever I use up the last of a fabric even it's not one of my favourites. Silly me... I'm trying to reduce my stash so I don't have to live forever...
Old 08-01-2018, 04:11 AM

I have donated yards and yards of fabric this year and I have to take it out of my fabric room immediately or I decide I had better keep it. I feel your “heart beat”. Lol
Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

I also think it's the reason I have 'just can't cut it' fabrics! Isn't that what I bought it for, not just take it out & pet it? So I use less favorite fabrics and at the rate I'm going, my favorite fabrics will never get used.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I have made a couple of scrap quilts to use up bits and pieces from over my quilting life. I used up quite a bit of my old favourites. I don’t feel like they are really gone because I have them in a quilt. Perhaps a scrap quilt is in your future?
I do have one fabric that I hoard bits and pieces of. It was in several colour ways back in the day and it is a tiny white heart on a black background. It is perfect for the little white accent in an animals eye.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:17 AM

I have a fabric that is laser-printed that I love and I have never been able to find anything to use it in. I'll likely be buried wrapped in it.

I did one of Judy's Train Rides and and I thought that would help, but I found myself replacing the turquoises that I used as fast as I used them!

Watson
Old 08-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

This summer I have been donating some of my stash to ladies who make dresses for African nation kids. Still got a long way to go but feel better that someone is using it for good cause.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:09 AM

I am with you-everytime I make a donation bag of fabrics to give away I start rethinking that I may need that someday!!! Then I pull out fabrics and put them back in my bins. It is a sad sad situation to live with and I have so much fabric I probably wouldn't miss it once it is out of the house!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:29 AM

I feel the same way, also. My mantra is "They will continue to make beautiful fabrics! If I RUN OUT (?!!), I can buy some of those." It helps me to part with some of my stash.

Linda in MO
Old 08-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
I feel the same way, also. My mantra is "They will continue to make beautiful fabrics! If I RUN OUT (?!!), I can buy some of those." It helps me to part with some of my stash.

Linda in MO
Ture... I can always buy more! And usually do.... At this rate...
Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Making quilts and backs for kids in foster care has really put a dent in my fabric stash. Even using scraps I still need a back.
It will be up to my Daughter and Granddaughter to get rid of my fabric when I check out.