Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pacific International Quilt Festival >

Pacific International Quilt Festival

Pacific International Quilt Festival

Old 09-29-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Pacific International Quilt Festival

People, I would like some tips and advice. I am a very amateur quilter. For the first time I have the opportunity to attend a huge quilt show. I am limited on my ability to walk long distances or stand forever on my feet. So, those of you who have gone to something like this, what would you recommend I do. What is my plan of action? I found out about this show too late to pre-register for demonstrations or lectures. I will check but don’t have high hopes there will be openings at this late date. I do want to see at least some of the amazing show entries and definitely check out the venders. Do you have any tips for me? PIQF will be October 11-14 in Santa Clara, California and to be honest, it intimidates me a bit. Edited to add a thank you to any who can help.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:55 PM

Rent a motorized chair
Old 09-29-2018, 04:04 PM

If you have one, bring a walker with a seat. It is easier to move around with than the motorized chair and will give you a chance to rest when you want to. Very comfortable shoes and clothes. A very large carry bag (cannot be a roller) to put any purchases in. Ride it on the seat of your walker until you need to sit down. Babylock, and other machine vendors give out free bags, grab several! If you fill one, go check it in for about 5 dollars. Make sure & write your name on it in big letters. Bring your big black marker with you. Take a picture of the tag they give you so you won't have to find it at the end of the day.

Go at least two days. One for the vendors and one for the quilts. The food and drink is fairly expensive. I bring some small snacks in my purse...pretzels, SF hard candies. Save your water bottle and fill it at one of the fountains. Take plenty of pictures. If you can, get a program and mark all those vendors you want to see. I write a single list showing vendor name, row and stall #. And just soak up all those wonderful quilting vibes going on. Almost forgot...there are usually some free classes that are open to anyone that wants to sit down. Go online and see if you can find those and schedule your rest breaks around those. Eleanor Burns is a wonderful speaker.

https://www.quiltfest.com/upcoming-s...uilt-festival/

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 09-29-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:41 AM

I would just suggest very comfy shoes and possible a light sweater as some places keep it very cool in the area. Also, I agree with the above mentioned that a walker with a seat would be great and then you can sit and rest when needed. Go and have fun and enjoy. I love quilt shows and it is so fun to see all of the quilts and the vendors always have the newest tools and rulers.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:40 PM

Thursday is packed. It can be slow going down isles and a walker would make it even worse. Definitely comfortable shoes. If you get cold, then a light cover. If you're generally hot, like me, you will want cool cloths. It can get stuffy in there. There are many wonderful vendors. More than fabric there'll be products you've never seen. Take scissors: there's at least 10 wonderful brands. Sizes: many. Price range: probably more than you expect and no Joanns coupon, them some are lowered prices. There'll be tools you haven't seen before.

Usually, I have several goals. 1: get supplies for a particular project. 2: see new products and see if 1 might fit into my toolbox, remember the demonstrators could recite in their sleep; they're so perfected it looks easy. 3; see what's new in quilting by seeing the quilts shown. 4; see friends. 5: be lost in quilt world for a few days. 6; experience a new instructor.

If a class is still open, it's posted and you can join up late. Check out the site just befor it starts & take supplies.... you just might get in.

Hope to see you there
Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Thank you so much for the excellent tips and suggestions. You have helped me as I plan my day. Yes, just one day. I feel that I will be so overwhelmed that my head would “explode” if I tried for more. Maybe next year I’ll feel like I can handle more. I now live about 45 minutes from this show, so it is an option. Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now View Post
Thank you so much for the excellent tips and suggestions. You have helped me as I plan my day. Yes, just one day. I feel that I will be so overwhelmed that my head would “explode” if I tried for more. Maybe next year I’ll feel like I can handle more. I now live about 45 minutes from this show, so it is an option. Thanks again!
Its actually less overwhelming to go more than one day. If you are only there one day, you'll be pushing to see/do/buy everything. If you go more than one day, after the first day it's much more laid back and relaxing and you don't feel as pressed to keep going even if you're tired because this is going to be your only chance to see things.