Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Complete novice needs helps please >

Complete novice needs helps please

Complete novice needs helps please

Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Red face Complete novice needs helps please

Hi all,
I'm looking for some help please, Never. ever tried quilting before, I usually do needlepoint and cross stitch.

Having made several needlepoint rugs and cushions, I decided it would be rather neat to make a quilt using the same designs (glutton for punishment or what!).

Anyway the cross stitch panels I've made are about 16" (40cm) square - like this one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]607032[/ATTACH]

I have batting, but no idea how to go about turning them into a quilt - do I sew all the squares together and then quilt them or sew each square onto a piece of batting and then quilt them individually then sew them together.

I intend to quilt around each flower.

Also what it the best thread to use to hand quilt them. The squares are 27 count Zweigart Linda pure cotton and the batting is bamboo and cotton mix.

Thank you for reading, hope someone can give a complete dummy some help.
Attached Thumbnails eb-hibiscus-image.jpg  
Old 01-19-2019, 12:27 PM

I would think something as lovely as your cross stitch panels would not lend themselves particularly well to the function of a quilt. That is, a quilt that would be used. Maybe wall hangings? As a wall hanging, each square could be padded with batting. You wouldn't need much quilting if it wasn't going to be actually used/laundered/drug in the dirt/used as a fort.
I'm not much help. Someone will be along who has done what you suggest.
Just before I hit the "enter" button, an image of a bed spread with those panels came to mind. Lovely. Not too fluffy, with each panel bordered in a matching green with some texture. Hmmm. I hope someone can help you.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Oh, that is so gorgeous! I'd probably put it in a frame.ha. It is absolutely wonderful. Someone else will have to help you in a quilt. Not I.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I have my heart set on making them into a quilt/bedspread. I collect Victorian botanical watercolours and have more than I have space on the walls for, so maybe not wall hangings.

Thanks for you kind words, I have about 50 of these squares.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:01 PM

Since I think most cross stitch is done on a looser weave fabric. I would use an iron on stabilizer on the back of each piece, similar to that used on tee shirt quilts. One brand is Pellon feather weight, 911. Besides supporting the blocks, it would help prevent bearding of the batting while quilting. Then you will have to decide the look you like, either putting a border fabric around each block or not. Consider that your background fabric in a color that suites your blocks. If you would like to quilt the blocks individually then join, look on You tube for instructions for quilt as you go. There are lots of good videos there. You will also need a background fabric whatever method you use. You will be working with three layers, backing, batting and top. There is so much info available on the internet and since you are new to this, you will want be doing a lot of exploring before you start. What I have mentioned is like the tip of the iceberg. I think if you are just wanting a quilt to be used for display, not getting a lot of hard use and needing to be washed frequently, this could work for you.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

I have some been thinking of a wall hanging although I don't have much wall space. Been thinking of it for several years.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Deedee- that is gorgeous!!!
I'm having trouble imagining cross-stitch made into a quilt because the fabric is stiff and I don't think it would be very comfortable to use as a quilt.
Just an opinion here. I also love doing cross-stitch!
Old 01-19-2019, 04:33 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Deedee- that is gorgeous!!!
I'm having trouble imagining cross-stitch made into a quilt because the fabric is stiff and I don't think it would be very comfortable to use as a quilt.
Just an opinion here. I also love doing cross-stitch!
The fabric isn't stiff at all, it's a fine, soft 100% cotton fabric. Nothing like linen or Aida.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:23 PM

I've seen quilts done with cross stitch blocks, and it is totally do-able, and seeing your blocks, will look amazing.

I completely agree with suern3 about adding a stabilizer- the lightest weight woven fusible interfacing you can find. Not only will it keep the blocks from distorting, but it will also anchor all of the thread ends on the back.

Because you will most likely have large areas that are not quilted where the cross stitch is, double check your batting distance requirements. You might even want to overstitch some of the outlines in the cross stitch through all of the layers to hold every thing together and add dimension to the designs.

As for whether you quilt before or after assembling, that would depend on your preference. Since you enjoy handwork so much, I would lean toward a quilt as you go method (again, suern3 is right, lots of youtube videos out there).

As for how washable it would be, it depends on how colorfast your threads are. I would test them for bleeding before tossing them in the wash. Other than that, it depends on your level of bravery. Personally, I've done cross stitch designs on clothing in the past, and not had any issues. Once it is all quilted and stabilized, if the threads don't bleed, I would not hesitate to wash on a delicate cycle with cold water, then letting it air dry. I would not use a dryer on anything with fusible interfacing, since heat can cause it to separate.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:49 PM

Thank you!
"Because you will most likely have large areas that are not quilted where the cross stitch is, double check your batting distance requirements. You might even want to overstitch some of the outlines in the cross stitch through all of the layers to hold every thing together and add dimension to the designs." That's exactly what I had in mind.

I have washed all of the pieces presses them, so I know the thread (DMC) is colourfast, even the reds.

I agree that the
quilt as you go method seems the best method (I have looked at some videos).

What would you recommend as a thread to do the hand quilting, would an ordinary cotton sewing thread do, or is there something better?
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]