Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kaffe Fassett Fabric >

Kaffe Fassett Fabric

Kaffe Fassett Fabric

Old 02-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Default Kaffe Fassett Fabric

Hello, I am wanting to make a quilt in the Kaffe Fassett book titled Quilts in Italy. I am confused as to how to find the fabric to do the quilt I want to do. In the book it lists fabrics by name such as Dream, Creased, Fern, and then there are some numbers by them such as GP148GR. When I went to the quilt store today I could not seem to find out what fabrics corresponded to the bolts. Can you tell me how to decipher this?
Old 02-23-2019, 05:16 PM

Glorious Color specializes in Kaffe Fassett fabric. I am sure they would be happy to help you.

https://www.gloriouscolor.com/
Old 02-23-2019, 05:29 PM

The Glorious Color website that Lisa listed has the fabrics shown by name. You should be able to figure out which fabrics you need.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:49 PM

Thank you! I have heard of Glorious Color in just the last couple days. I will check it out.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:52 PM

First of all, I'd give up on using the exact fabrics he lists in the book. The book was published in summer of 2016, the fabrics are most likely out of print and very difficult to find.

However, his designs are all very similar, so I think you can easily substitute prints from his current lines of fabric. Also look at Philip Jacobs and Brandon Mably fabrics; they go hand-in-hand with Kaffe's prints.

As far as figuring out what the fabrics listed in the pattern look like, try the manufacturer's website.

https://www.freespiritfabrics.com/fa...lective/stash/

You may be able to view the fabrics, make note of each fabric's main characteristics (ie color family, large scale floral, small scale floral, stripes, etc) and then find something similar in the current lines that are in stores now.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

Chances are your local quilt store will not have all (if any) of the fabrics called for in the book. Some of them may no longer be available. Give yourself permission to get creative and choose your own fabrics. After you do that a few times you may find that it's the most enjoyable part of the quilting process.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:54 PM

Very helpful, thank you all.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Once you know which fabrics you're looking for, you might try to see if any of them are in the Craftsy (Bluprint) shop. The designer fabrics they carry are often older fabrics and I know they've had quite a few of the Kaffe Fassett lines. They have many precuts, but also some yardage.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Glorious color has fabric packs for most (if not all?) of Kaffe's books. Click on the left where it says fabric packs, then click on Quilts in Italy (the image is not of the book, but of one of the quilts in the book). You will get a listing for the book as well fabric kits for several of the quilts in the book.

You can also often find older fabrics through Etsy, sometimes bundled by line if that is what you want. Personally, I'd want to select my own fabrics rather than make one that is just like that in the book. I like having a unique quilt in the end. Personal choice, though. Either way, it'll be gorgeous.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:32 PM

I'd also suggest you look on the Hancock's of Paducah website--when I was down there last summer, they seemed to have all the Kaffe Fassett fabrics--just wowed me.