Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt guild programs >

quilt guild programs

quilt guild programs

Old 06-19-2019, 04:05 AM

Default quilt guild programs

I was at my Quilt Guild meeting last night and have been toying around with the idea of taking on responsibility for programs. Our guild meets year round and I am relatively new to this guild. Two meetings are already spoken for with in house garage sale and a pot luck dinner. I would need to have 10 more programs to round out the next year. I know I could get a couple of trunk shows lined up. What other kind of things are done for programs. Any ideas will be taken seriously. We also have a fabric dying program scheduled and another speaker so far. I will still need 10 however. You help is appreciated
Old 06-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

The game with dice that allow for charm squares or 2-1/2 inch strip exchange are always fun. Having members demo new tools or techniques might be something they would like. Have the guild buy fat quarters or charm squares of a hideous fabric and have a contest on who uses it the best. The members can vote for their favourite.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 AM

I found an old Quilting Board thread on this subject that may be helpful. Link below.

Need help with Quilt Guild Ideas.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM

I just looked up this thread and there are many great ideas!!! I am making notes. Our guild is very small. I know it has been around for awhile. The people I have met so far are very nice many very talented quilters. Many have gone inactive. I don't think right now there is a lot of publicity about this guild. I have only been a member for 4 months. Some of the Ideas I have just been reading may work very well. I may need a lot of help getting things going if I do decide to take this on. More ideas are so welcome. I am making a list!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

one thing we discussed at the last board meeting: don't schedule an important/expensive teacher during a month where the meeting may get cancelled due to snow... seeing that you are from snow country
Old 06-19-2019, 10:40 AM

You can check and see if your Guild allows vendors to come in and talk about products. One of my Guilds do allow and those programs have been really informative on what's out there without pressure to purchase.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:06 PM

Since you are a new member, you are still learning about the other members (Do they like change? Are they adventuresome? What do they expect from attending the guild? Did the guild "already do this"? Did members like it when it was done before?)

If you do take on this position, you might ask for honest feedback from the participants after each program. This will help you determine what type of programs work for your guild and help you choose successful programs.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:11 PM

I went "inactive" at our guild years ago. Same thing happening same people showing/talking every single meeting. I asked a member recently what a meeting was like now, still the same thing. If there were something you are willing to offer I might get interested again Go for it!
Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I have been program chair for four times in our guild. I did Meet your Member programs. One or two members showed their quilts and talked about their quilt journey. Everyone loves those. We had a physical therapist do a presentation on proper sitting, cutting and pressing height and exercises to help with aches. I scheduled local shops to show new notions and tools. We had a social with ice cream and everyone brought a tote or bag they had made to show it off. As far as the same ones do the talking and doing, they are probably the only ones who will do anything. Most members will not get involved but then complain about the programs or lack of them. In my opinion the guild is better without them. We have sew days, members doing demos, have make and take classes, hand sewing classes, embroidery classes, all free from members who donate their time and love of doing.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:53 PM

I love sew days!!