Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Question >

Batting Question

Batting Question

Old 07-09-2020, 04:19 AM

Default Batting Question

I am making a quilt that has a lot of negative space white fabric. I was considering buying some true white batting to use, but then was wondering if I could just bleach the batting I have on hand? Does using white batting really make much difference, or am I just overthinking it?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:57 AM

The batting can make an amazing difference. Sometimes bright white is better, sometimes natural is better... all depends on the fabrics used and the look you want.

I'll do a lot of things, but I don't think I'm willing to deal with bleaching a batting... but I would definitely audition a few options before deciding on the final choice.

Edit: you might get some idea by putting down a white piece of fabric and then laying the top over that compared to a neutral batting.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:33 AM

and be sure to check to see if seam allowances will show through
Old 07-09-2020, 06:33 AM

Have you considered laying a piece of bright white fabric over the batting instead. I can envision that if I were to bleach the batting, it would turn out as a big messy failure.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:49 AM

You do not want to bleach the batting. There is always the possibility of some residual bleach, which can fade the other fabrics in the quilt when you wash it. Bleach also weakens fabric.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:06 AM

I would buy a new piece of white batting for this quilting project. I would not attempt to bleach it myself and it could damage or not bleach evenly on a larger piece of batting. I do believe it would make a difference. I would use White batting. My favorite is the W&N brand.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:04 AM

I don't think it is a good idea to bleach batting. This method may make your batting weak in some spots. Just my personal opinion but I would be afraid to bleach.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 AM

I agree with previous posters. I would not bleach it. White batting will definitely make a huge difference. You can put white fabric between the top and the batting, as someone else said, but I think I would just purchase white batting. It's the easiest, simplest solution.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

I almost always use polyester batting for my quilts which is white. I buy the hi-loft because that is what I like. W&W comes white or W&N which is natural color. Depends on what you like. Walmart sells project fleece that acts like W&W, it is white, I use that for my donation quilts.