Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When item is "lost", how long do you hunt? >

When item is "lost", how long do you hunt?

When item is "lost", how long do you hunt?

Old 11-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Default When item is "lost", how long do you hunt?

So I KNOW I have an applique owl pattern, made it once for my friend, want to make it again but can't find it. I have looked in all the logical, even the illogical places, three times to no avail. So decided to quit looking, printed out templates from the Internet. This means it will pop up later, right?

So? is...how long do you hunt for the lost? I gave up after 3 hours...lol
Old 11-22-2020, 09:24 AM

It depends on what it is... earlier this year I deliberately held out some fabric. Have been looking for 3 months now, really looking. Two pieces, can't find anywhere but I know I saved them.

After I look at the usual places, then I consider other ideas... When I put things in "safe places" they can disappear for years.

And then the day after you've given up and re-bought whatever it is, I will open a closet that has been opened many times before and stuff will fall on your head. But only after you've paid for the replacement!
Old 11-22-2020, 09:31 AM

Ice...LOL. I feel your pain. I have no idea where I bought this pattern. I can see it...owls in center surrounded by trees. Idea....Ice, maybe your fabric is in my house and my pattern is with you? Ya think?...lol
Old 11-22-2020, 09:36 AM

I stop looking after looking at the same places a few times. So, I bought paper scissors, a pack of 3, at Costco. Put them somewhere. Months later, just bought another set. Months later I found the originals. And they were in a reasonable place, I just hadn't looked there. I usually find what I've been looking for when I've given up, gone on to something else and it shows up when it's no longer needed. Beyond frustrating, and "disgust" comes to mind. Then I get over it. Until the next time. We're human.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:03 AM

Oh, if I can't find something I really, really want/need and know its in my sewing room somewhere but can't find after looking and looking, I start cleaning and reorganizing. I find all kinds of things then. LOL. It's like Christmas all over again.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:16 AM

I lost my upper denture plate about 2 weeks ago and have searched everyware and then anyware! No luck! Glad to be wearing a mask when I go out!!
Old 11-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I use to get so frustrated not being able to find things in my sewing room I know I had. It bugged me and was always in the back of my mind to where is that? Now when I do a reasonable search I buy another and forget the whole thing. I may or may not find the lost item, doesn't matter my frustration is gone. Getting rid of frustration is another layer of the smaller happiness to hold the bigger happiness. That's my theory anyway.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

After I've searched for a while and torn the house apart, I try to calm down and relax. Then I look more carefully in the same places I already looked. Usually I've looked right at the item I'm searching for, but didn't really see it.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:04 AM

I will only look for a few minutes before I walk away and do something else. If not, I’ll obsess and go around in circles. I find, most of the time, that if I calm down and think about it, I will remember where it is.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:14 AM

Yes i have done this, I lost the Manual that goes to my Machine. I got so desperate that I copied one on the net before it machine was out dated. This summer I found the book in my trailer we live in for 4 months. i could not believe I left it there.