Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
silk thread >

silk thread

silk thread

Old 03-29-2021, 11:10 AM

Default silk thread

I just read glide works with piecing quilts so I thought I have 100% silk why not use it Is this a good idea ?? Since I already have it what are the reasons not to use it.?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:28 AM

Default Silk thread

[QUOTE=newbee3;8472093]I just read glide works with piecing quilts so I thought I have 100% silk why not use it Is this a good idea ?? Since I already have it what are the reasons not to use it.?[/QUOTE

I will be following this thread as I have the same question.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:33 AM

I absolutely love silk thread for hand needlework - I do blackwork embroidery with it - but the first two reasons that pop into my head to not piece with it are #1) price, and #2) washability.

I don't know how much of it you have or what weight it is, but you can go through quite a bit of thread, depending on the size of the quilt, and silk thread is not cheap. Also, it's not always colorfast and you have to be careful how you wash it.

I believe it's stronger than cotton, but not as strong as polyester, so Glide would be the better choice if that's a concern.

And silk thread is just beautiful, why hide it inside the quilt where it won't be seen?

That's my 2 cents!

Last edited by SherylM; 03-29-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:46 AM

I used to use silk thread for embroidering on church linens, but the people who do the church laundry use God-knows-what to clean them and they are laundered, starched and ironed after every use. The silk just disintegrated - probably due to bleach, but OxyClean can do that, too.

I agree with SherylM - it would be a waste of silk to hide it and run the risk of ruining your piecing when someone runs it through the washer with some cleaner that isn't kind to silk.