Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitching batting together >

Stitching batting together

Stitching batting together

Old 03-10-2022, 01:02 PM

Default Stitching batting together

When I quilt a block before sewing the blocks together, I get a "lump" where the batting from one block meets the batting of the next block. I can't figure out how to fix this problem as it is unsightly. Don't know how to fix this or what I'm doing wrong. I tried using batting tape to join the two battings together, but the outcome was not good either. How do you join two blocks that have already been quilted?
Old 03-10-2022, 01:10 PM

I had the same problem but i changed the stitch selection and it solved the problem. I choose zig zag but it it has multiple stitched in each zig and zag. Look at your stitch selector and you should see what I mean.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:31 PM

When you are doing this, you don't want your two batting pieces to overlap. You want them to butt side to side. Then use the tape -- half the tape, to the center of the tape will be on one batting piece and then the second half of the tape will be on the second batting piece.

The same as when you sew them together. Basically, you would hand sew them together with a whip stitch, making sure that the ends (sides) of the batting only meet and do not overlap.

I'm thinking that you are overlapping the batting pieces to get the 'lump'. You only want the pieces to meet, not overlap.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by berrynice View Post
When you are doing this, you don't want your two batting pieces to overlap. You want them to butt side to side. Then use the tape -- half the tape, to the center of the tape will be on one batting piece and then the second half of the tape will be on the second batting piece.

The same as when you sew them together. Basically, you would hand sew them together with a whip stitch, making sure that the ends (sides) of the batting only meet and do not overlap.

I'm thinking that you are overlapping the batting pieces to get the 'lump'. You only want the pieces to meet, not overlap.
The OP is talking about QAYG, not just joining batting. I've never done QAYG, so I can't answer her question. Is it possible to pull the top and backing far enough to zigzag the batting?
Old 03-10-2022, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The OP is talking about QAYG, not just joining batting. I've never done QAYG, so I can't answer her question. Is it possible to pull the top and backing far enough to zigzag the batting?

That is the only kind of quilting I do. Quilt as you Go. When I use sashing, I don't need to join the batting together. But when I do QAYG without sashing, I need to join the batting together and that is how I do it. (see my post above)

When you do QAYG without sashing, and need to join the batting together to 'join the pieces/blocks/sections, you should only quilt it to 1 inch from all the edges. Then, you join the pieces/blocks/sections together front to front with a quarter inch seam, holding the batting and backing out of the way. Then you flip it over and trim the batting to just have them meeting, then you either hand sew it with a whip stitch or use fusible tape or interfacing to join the batting, then you close up the backing fabric, by laying one side down on the batting, then then laying the other side down with a folded under edge of 1/4" and then sew it down, either by hand or by machine. Here is a really good video to show how -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcIcgDFmzM

Last edited by berrynice; 03-10-2022 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added more information
Old 03-10-2022, 02:02 PM

There are so many ways to do QAYG. You can even use bias strips to close up the back, while keeping the front without sashing, the list goes on and on.

It is just a matter of finding what you like and what works for you.

There are so many videos out there for all of it.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I usually can get a nice join with a zig zag stitch if it is 80/20 batt when just joining batt. For QAYG there isn’t a way to sew the quilt block edges together and do the zig zag stitch by machine on the batt. You would have to hand stitch the batt together with a herringbone stitch in my option or use batting tape.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:50 PM

if you are not using sashing in between the blocks, are you cutting your batting the finished size of your block? if so you should not have any extra batting flowing over into the seam allowance. when the blocks are sewn together, they should but together tightly. perhaps you are stretching the batting and fabric a bit when quilting them....
Old 03-11-2022, 01:01 AM
Gay

if you google 'quilt as you go' you will find videos showing how to do it, both with and without sashing.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:05 AM

You might be cutting your batting just a fraction bigger than the block. If it's the exact same size then you might be stretching the batting a little bit as you quilt the block. In that case you need to carefully trim the batting before joining it to the next block. You do not need to use tape, I never use tape, no need for it.