New

Old 07-30-2022, 04:34 AM

Post New

Hi, Everyone!

My name is Beth. I am new to this site as well as a new owner of a Nolting 24 long arm! My first problem is, when basting my quilt, the thread underneath is all loose. Can someone tell me how to fix it? I did not realize that the bobbin had to go in a special way. Maybe that is the issue? I am from Maine.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:40 AM

Welcome lizzie....the loose thread on the bottom indicates the tension on top is incorrect. The bobbin thread is pulling the top thread to the bottom. Try re-threading your top thread making sure it's going into the tension disks. Is your needle inserted correctly?
Old 07-30-2022, 06:18 AM

Welcome from Texas!
Old 07-30-2022, 06:54 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
Welcome lizzie....the loose thread on the bottom indicates the tension on top is incorrect. The bobbin thread is pulling the top thread to the bottom. Try re-threading your top thread making sure it's going into the tension disks. Is your needle inserted correctly?
Thank you!. I threaded it again because I found a couple of places the needle missed! I will let you know if I have any trouble!
Old 07-30-2022, 07:16 AM

Welcome from Southern California! Congratulations on your longarm, too. Tension problems could also be caused by not having the bobbin threaded or inserted correctly. YouTube has some very good videos that could help you with that.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:11 AM

I have an older Nolting 24 that was very well used when I got it. My husband is great at the upper tension. I don't often thread from scratch, I just tie the new thread and pull the thread through the same path. I found that with my Glide thread, I have to thread the machine slightly differently than recommended. The lady I bought the machine from said it only liked King Tut. After having the machine professionally cleaned and adjusted, I can use any thread on it. I always have a test area off to the side of my quilt to test my stitches. The test area has the backing and batting and then I put a scrap of fabric similar to what the quilt is made of. Sometimes it takes more sewing tests than other times. The bobbins must be wound properly. If they are loosely wound, the machine will not sew. Pre-wounds are usually great.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 07-31-2022, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome!
Old 07-31-2022, 04:53 AM

Sending a warm welcome from Delaware
Old 07-31-2022, 09:37 AM

Hello and Welcome from Texas!!