Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Wedding Ring Quilt >

Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Old 01-13-2023, 12:35 PM

Default Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Hi I am new to this Forum, I have the accuquilt Go Big and bought the die for the 11 1/2 X 11 1/2 inch Double wedding Ring. I was wondering if anyone has made this in a king size quilt and if you figured out the yardage for it. I would like to use a solid for the melons and the squares and then 30 repro for the small pieces. I have 4 packs of 5 inch Repro. but before I do anything I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on fabric amounts. Thank you very much, Dabz
Old 01-14-2023, 07:17 AM

I am sorry that I don't have the answer to your question. But I will be following this thread closely as I am wanting to do a DWR quilt also. I recently ordered the templates to do one. Have been wondering how difficult this is going to be and if I am going to be sorry that I have attempted it. And I also wondered about fabric needed to do it. I am planning on using 2-1/2" strips to cut my pieces for the arcs and using fabrics already on hand. But I will need to buy the background fabrics. I have considered doing paper piecing, as Judy Niemeyer pattern, but thought I would try it without doing that. Please let us know about your progress.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:29 AM

There is a pattern for sale on Amazon with an image of the back of the pattern with the yardage requirements that includes King size. That may be helpful. https://www.amazon.com/Double-Weddin.../dp/B011SFMI3C

I have hand pieced a double wedding block or two. Pin the curves and you won't have any problem at all on the machine. You will get used to the curves and then wonder why you were worried. After sewing up a bunch of curves, you will find sewing the straight edges to go more confidently into the future. And the double wedding ring quilts are beautiful! Sounds like a great project!
Old 01-14-2023, 09:05 AM

Double Wedding Ring was on my bucket list for years. Finally did 4 blocks, assembled and crossed it off the bucket list. It’s not for beginners.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:49 AM

Default double Wedding ring quilt

I have pieced two double wedding ring quilts, one in purples for my oldest daughter, and one in brown tones and it is not quilted yet...keep thinking I will send it to MSQC

but going to check with local fabric shop to see if there is any long arm quilters locally.. i have a 5ft long arm with Janome machine but I don't won't to tackle a king size quilt on it..lots of work....planning on doing that today...
they are a lot of work but I love the way mine turned out...
everyone ought to try just one...have a nice quilty day everyone...
Old 01-14-2023, 03:31 PM

I did a DWR as one of my first quilts. I used the John Flynn method and his templates with no problems. Went together very easily. Instructions easy to understand.

Old 01-14-2023, 03:55 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Pat1969 View Post
I am sorry that I don't have the answer to your question. But I will be following this thread closely as I am wanting to do a DWR quilt also. I recently ordered the templates to do one. Have been wondering how difficult this is going to be and if I am going to be sorry that I have attempted it. And I also wondered about fabric needed to do it. I am planning on using 2-1/2" strips to cut my pieces for the arcs and using fabrics already on hand. But I will need to buy the background fabrics. I have considered doing paper piecing, as Judy Niemeyer pattern, but thought I would try it without doing that. Please let us know about your progress.
Thank you for your response hopefully we will find what we are each looking for.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:07 PM

Yes, please let us know how you are progressing. We have gotten some positive posts. My templates have not come in yet. Maybe it won't be a hard as I thought. Thanks to all for posting your experiences.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
everyone ought to try just one...have a nice quilty day everyone...
ONLY way I will ever do a DWR is by going to Walmart and buying a "cheater's quilt". momma made one and the ring pieces were twice as small as the patterns today. AND she hand sewed it and hand quilted it. Took her about 3 months to sew all those little scrapes together and the 3 weeks to quilt it but her sisters and mother came to quilt on it.each time. Will say one thing good about it--it used up a lot of scrap pieces which is one reason Momma made that quilt.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:24 PM

Pat, I just went on You Tube and looked up accuquilt double wedding ring and it showed a tutorial. I made the DWR at least 5 years ago but ended up not liking it due to the fabric colors I chose. But the size block is different than what the accuquilt one is. It took a long time to hand cut all the pieces and I used the F shape instead of all the little pieces. I love the pattern so wanted to try it again and when I saw the die I got excited about retrying it again. I used the 30's Repro on a quilt I made for my daughter and fell in love with the color combination so wanted to try it for a DWR.