Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine Hunt - Allegro or Janome 6700 >

New Machine Hunt - Allegro or Janome 6700

New Machine Hunt - Allegro or Janome 6700

Old 01-27-2023, 03:01 PM

Default New Machine Hunt - Allegro or Janome 6700

I have been all over the board in my sewing machine hunt to replace my Topaz 20. I was so very close to saying the Babylock Allegro was the winner but that Janome 6700 keeps haunting me.

i really donʻt care about deco stitches or fonts.

I want the big throat for quiting that the Allegro has and I was very interested in the fancy accu feed on the Janome. Now as i am manual surfing I donʻt seem to see how to change the needle position on the Allegro. Am I missing something.

The two machines are about $500 difference in price which is a lot but then really not a lot.

Any input before my appointment at the sewimg center next week.

Thanks

Susan
Old 01-27-2023, 03:27 PM
Administrator

janome 6700 for sure
Old 01-28-2023, 06:04 AM

sounds like you are going to look at them in person, bring some fabric, do some stitching. You may find your answer there!
Old 01-28-2023, 06:08 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
sounds like you are going to look at them in person, bring some fabric, do some stitching. You may find your answer there!
^ This ^

Try them both out, run through the types of sewing you do (maybe even make a little 12 x12 or 16 x 16 quilt sandwich to take with you for quilting).

Sewing machines are like cars - everyone has different preferences and what's right for someone else isn't necessarily right for you. That's why you test drive.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:16 AM

I agree with sewingpup - you need to try them out.

My experiences with Janome were not positive. Having been used to a Bernina, the Janomes felt like a lightweight toy to me. The stitch quality was ... meh. Not awful, but not great, either. In fairness, that was probably 15 years ago, and as I was looking for a travel machine, I was specifically looking at their lightweight models. I bought one, sold it and upgraded to one a bit higher in their line, sold that within a year as well.

I often forget to use YouTube as a resource, but I bet you could find lots of videos there on either machine. Search for how to change needle position there. I can't imagine that it can't be done.

What about distance to tech for them? Either farther away or less customer friendly?

Lastly, there's a website called PatternReview . com that lets you search for reviews of machines. You don't have to join to look at newer postings. If you want to look at older ones, you do need to join, but it's no cost.

Good luck with making a decision!
Old 01-28-2023, 06:58 AM

I have the Janome Professional 6600 which has a 9" harp space. I know there is another Janome with a larger harp space yet but can't remember the name or number of it. I have had my Janome for 10 years and never had it in for any repairs, etc. I clean it myself and put a drop of oil on the bobbin wick every so often it and runs like a charm. I have FMQ many quilts including king size with it. That gets a little challenging, but it is doable. Have fun with whatever machine you go with.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:06 AM

Definitely try them out to see which one you like the best. Sometimes when piecing it's nice to be able to change the needle position slightly in order to get the perfect seam width. If the Allegro doesn't allow you to adjust the needle position, that would be a negative in my book. Also check to see if the Allegro allows you to choose either needle up or down when stitching. If you want to FMQ having needle down makes it a little easier as you don't have to reach for the hand wheel with one hand in order to put the needle down before changing your hand position.

Rob
Old 01-28-2023, 09:25 AM

I have had many Berninas and they did not live up to their hype. I have two Janomes, Janome Gem for classes, lightweight and reliable except that I have to change the needle position for a 1/4" seam. Once I learned that, it's perfect for taking to classes and as a second machine at home.

My other machine is a Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900. Once I got the right even feed foot and learned to install it correctly, I have no complaints. I've had it for 5 years and would buy it again. Wide harp, perfect stitches.

The advice to bring fabric to sew on when you try out the machines is a must, making sure you bring different kinds of fabric, not only cotton. Bring slippery fabrics, too.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2023, 10:01 AM

I have the Janome 6700, and I love it, the only thing is the automatic needle threader is a bummer...why it's there I have no idea,worked for about 2 months, had it repaired lasted another couple months then quit again, so I just said forget it..thread it myself..not worth the time and effort of taking it in to have it work a couple months then nothing...other than that, throat space is great, and the monogramming is fantastic for my labels..I am still learning about all the features but it just takes time..hope you find what you are looking for..
Old 01-28-2023, 05:28 PM

Hands down Janome 6700.