Anazon...insert eyeroll

Old 04-04-2023, 02:34 PM

Default Anazon...insert eyeroll

I ordered this color book to get ideas for a collage quilt. Standard soft cover book size, maybe 80 pages.
Plus 4 open toe sewing machine feet, 2 for each machine. Total weight 7.8 ounces.

It came in a 18" X 5" box. With a great pile of air pillow bags. This could have shipped very easily in the plastic bag Robs big coat came in today It could have all shipped together, and I don't do Prime shipping.
I have to wonder how they make any money at all.
Attached Thumbnails amazon-5x18.jpg  
Old 04-04-2023, 04:59 PM

Good grief. That's crazy!

I have noticed that many of our packages now come in plastic bags. They can't be recycled, which the cardboard boxes can, but the boxes sure are more bulky to deal with. And in a case like this, you ended up with both plastic and cardboard.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:35 AM

The items you ordered probably were not in at the same warehouse, that's why two different packages were sent.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:37 AM

oh, I understand that. Can you imagine the size of a warehouse to hold every item in the world? Yikes. I think the coat came from a marketplace vendor, it came by fedex.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

The packer gets the first box that will hold the items. If they spend time looking for the right size box it cost more money then using an oversized one. Time is money is all large shipping departments.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:09 AM

My sister uses all those cardboard boxes in her garden. She lays them down over the dirt, then adds leaves and kitchen scraps, if not placed under the boxes. This is all done in the Fall so they have time to deterioate during the winter time, helps draw worms into her garden and the robins love it. When she bought this house, the veggie garden was so hard to dig into that she had to add a lot of leaves and anything else she could to get it to loosen up. Now her garden is very fertile and loose enough to actually plant something. If only she could keep the deer out, the plants might survive the summer.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:25 AM

This is the downside of online ordering that no-one really talks about. Huge amount of waste involved...so sad.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:46 PM

I know, I get so upset at the waste of materials for something that could fit in a padded envelope, but yes I can see where hunting down the right size would take too much time. That is a good idea about using them in the garden. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

If you never got a package too big for the item then the thought of waste of the too big box would never be a concern. This has been ongoing for half a century, just now more obvious as most everyone orders online.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:27 PM

yep, they use up left over boxes . not concerned about product safety either it seems. Today's business ethic.