Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use of black in juvenile quilts? >

Use of black in juvenile quilts?

Use of black in juvenile quilts?

Old 06-02-2023, 09:09 PM

Default Use of black in juvenile quilts?

I make a lot of donation quilts for the family advocacy center in town. I hesitate to use black in them. I do use dark brown frequently, just not black.

Does anyone else have a problem with black?
Old 06-02-2023, 09:20 PM

I hesitated before answering, but I don't think black should be an issue as long as it's not a huge percentage of the top. I've seen some great black and white baby quilts, too. Black can often make bright colours pop more, so it could actually be great for the quilt, depending on what it's paired with. I guess, as usual, context is key, so my final answer would be "I don't think it would be my first go-to, but I wouldn't avoid it if I thought it would work with or enhance the quilt I was making." :-)
Old 06-03-2023, 02:38 AM

I totally agree with what Gemm wrote. As a maker of Project Linus quilts, I use very little black, but will not hestitate to use it to enhance the other colors in the quilt. I'm speaking of sashing blocks or maybe a black binding.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:59 AM

I use black a lot for donation quilts, some are for babies, children and adults. I've used it for binding, borders and in blocks. It isn't the main color, it helps make the other colors pop and helps to blend all the scraps if it's a scrappy quilt. I also use navy and purple for the same purpose.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:07 AM

It's just a color. Some people choose it as a favorite.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:28 AM

The contrast of black and other colors is stimulating to a child's development of eyes and brain. Initially their eyes appreciate the strong contrast. In the first months to a year of life when all of those initial visual and mental synapses in the brain are connecting, clear contrast can be useful. But here is where folks can over do it. Many parents, grandparents, aunties and uncles and other caring adults make everything in a baby's world all bright primary colors. The down side of ALL bright colors is that they can be OVER stimulating. Strike a balance of white/black, soft and strong colors. Consider the colors in our nature. They are not all the same or of the same hue or intensity. Babies like and grow with a dose of all colors particularly when they are accompanied with interactions, smiles and attention from caring adults.

I vote yes, mmunchkins, for using black in juvenile or baby quilts. Our eyes appreciate the spectacular look of a quilt with a splash of black to show off the other colors. A little person would also. Like aashley333, it is just a color.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:53 AM

I don't use black very often because I hate to sew with it. Black thread on black fabric is hard on these eyes. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as an accent color.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:51 AM

I think a thin black sashing highlights other colors.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:17 AM

My nephew actually requested a black quilt. yep, he was in into black and gray for a while. My main concerns with the black is doing quilting on it because using black thred would be hard to see where I already quilted and also, I would make sure the black was colorfast so washing first would be a requirement for me.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:57 AM

I don't think black would be a problem. As has been said, black contrasts well with brights. If you really don't want to use black, gray or navy can be a good substitute. I've seen some awesome bright quilts done with gray or navy